Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2007, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What would be a good USP for quality lawn maintenance (mainly mowing)? I really haven't found anything I thought would be really good. Account management sounds good, but most of my customers won't really care that much i don't think.

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Ours is " Small Company providing Huge Curb Appeal " sort of off the cuff, but it works.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L View Post
You are being purposefully vague, but everyone else has spat out tag-line after tag-line, core values, mottos, catch phrases, and anything else, other than, a USP.
In the neighborhoods I service the city has scheduled bulk trash pick-ups once a week. I noticed that most of the lco's would service their accounts and leave the debris to be picked up by the city. If bulk trash was scheduled to be picked up on friday and the yard was serviced on tuesday the customer would have a pile of debris at the curb for several days.

My "usp" was to haul away all the debris from all my accounts. This gave the customers better looking yards than all their neighbors and through word of mouth I started getting referrals like crazy.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I pimp GRASS !!
Old 01-13-2007, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagilla View Post
In the neighborhoods I service the city has scheduled bulk trash pick-ups once a week. I noticed that most of the lco's would service their accounts and leave the debris to be picked up by the city. If bulk trash was scheduled to be picked up on friday and the yard was serviced on tuesday the customer would have a pile of debris at the curb for several days.

My "usp" was to haul away all the debris from all my accounts. This gave the customers better looking yards than all their neighbors and through word of mouth I started getting referrals like crazy.
Yes, that is a "usp".
Old 01-14-2007, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So basically a USP is what you do that defines you, and then a slogan would normally say something about your USP in it.

I guess I should study my competition better and see what they are slacking in more..

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 01-14-2007, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Right View Post
So basically a USP is what you do that defines you, and then a slogan would normally say something about your USP in it.

I guess I should study my competition better and see what they are slacking in more..
Almost...a USP is a way of defining 1 specific reason to buy from YOU. This is the basis of your closing sales (and sometimes in opening as well). Most people will not put their USP in a motto or headline because of over-exposure. If you make it less "special" in the consumer's eyes then it will lose it's effectiveness.

Mottos can lead up to the USP or imply what it may be, but I wouldn't hand someone the "whole pie". I would keep their attention by showing them throughout the whole sales process why "we are the best choice".
Old 01-14-2007, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My is
Same day service !
(most of the time)

I may change it to

"Problem Solved "

http://www.pest-weed-free.com/
Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is not a good USP
Account Manageability

No one knows what this means .
No offense
Old 01-14-2007, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L View Post
Almost...a USP is a way of defining 1 specific reason to buy from YOU. This is the basis of your closing sales (and sometimes in opening as well). Most people will not put their USP in a motto or headline because of over-exposure. If you make it less "special" in the consumer's eyes then it will lose it's effectiveness.

Mottos can lead up to the USP or imply what it may be, but I wouldn't hand someone the "whole pie". I would keep their attention by showing them throughout the whole sales process why "we are the best choice".
Where are you getting your information? Because it is not the same as I have from a marketing textbook ot the other various classes I have taken or my E-Myth coaching.

It seems to be your personal interpretation of the words Unique Selling Proposition. While if you take them individually they do have something similar to what you are describing if you take the words literally. A lot like "cat got your tongue". When someone says that you don't take it literally.

I don't think you are intentionally misleading people and it probably dosen't make much difference anyway. Unless you have a complete marketing package a USP does you little good any way. It is a single block in a large wall. USP is not something you use to close a sale either. I almost quoted the textbook exactly in my previous post and no one seems to be listening so I will leave it at that.