Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-18-2000, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to have to hire a part time helper this year and my largest customer requires workmans comp. <br>I know that there is about 15% emploiers fed tax and 3.3 % unemploiment tax, thats 18.3%<br>over what I am going to pay him. Plus all the fed deposits and reports.<br>I recieved a bid yesterday from a persionel management company that will take care of doing my payrole checks, furnish my workmans comp. do all the reports and deposits for 21% over payrole. I dont think I could go wrong with them at all I cant even get W/C for that amount.<br>Has anyone else had any experience in this field with this kind of company?<br>All I have heard from the refrences they gave me is the highest praise, and one of these guys is a long time friend.<br>I was wondering what you guys think?<br>Heck, they can even set you up with benifits!
Old 03-18-2000, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Naturalawn,<br> Go for it! We use Paychex payroll services and it is worth every penny for the fees they charge. While we take care of our own workmans comp, the paperwork nightmares of the IRS, payroll taxes, etc. that they take care of lets you spend time doing what you want to do. They produce monthly reports for you as well as serving as documentation for audits and year end tax time. When workmens comp calls for a phone audit, we just fax them the quarterly reports from Paychex and it's all taken care of. Believe me, when you start getting f@#&loads of IRS paperwork in the mail, it's nice knowing you can throw them out because your payroll service has already mailed them in for you and has already paid the taxes on your behalf. Plus their payroll fees and services are 100 % tax deductable under professional services!!!!<p>Mike<br>
Old 03-18-2000, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lemme get this straight:<br>You get the guy. They put him on their payroll. You pay them his hourly fee + 21% and take care of everything?<p>That's exactly what you want.<p>You're better served working on lawns than dealing with all the paperwork required of an employer.<p>You do your job, let somebody else do THEIR job.