Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2007, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

walker - navigator - maybe john deere

will deere ever make a machine like these, whats your thoughts or do you no if they are ever going to make one.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say that it is too much of a niche market for them but JD did go with another niche market with their stander - the Quik Trak.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker

I run 5 Walkers and love them. I never ran the Exmark, but did demo Toro's model and was not impressed. In my opinion all Walker does is make this style of mower and they do it well. Just my two dents worth.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere made a F687 It had 20hp Koh, dump from the seat box. tilt up

deck. I had mine three days gave it back to dealer. About the size of a Grasshopper. I have a Walker MT-20. much better machine. It just works better. Ed

Last edited by edward hedrick; 01-10-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Navigator

the Navigator and Toro's Z master and not alike. Just an FYI.

The Navigator is much like the Walker, except an all around better machine IMO.

I heard Walker is using a bigger blower this year......hmmmm.

I wonder if that has to do with the guys who have bought Navigators and are completely impressed compared to the competition?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The exmark dealer here won't stock Navigators because they can't sell them. This came straight from the sales manager's mouth, because I ask him. Took him a year to sell the first one he ordered. Walkers are sold by the John Deere dealer here, and they must 100 customers machines on their lot for their winter service. It'll take more than a look alike to unseat the King.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Navigators are a much better machine than a walker?? You must be joking i own 2 walkers and have demoed a navigator cutting side by side my freaking walker 18hp vs their 20hp hell my 18 beat the **** out of that thing. Bagging and all the only time the navigator excelled was on driving speed, but its not about how fast you can drive its how fast your can cut the grass and do it nice. Have you looked under the deck of a navigator? The spindles are just tiny shafts kinda hanging out there a little exposed to my due to the deep deck that sucks too. If you havent looked under the deck it is probably because the deck only tilts like 40 degrees you gota get on your hands and knees to look under there where a walker is full 90 degree just my 2 cents. Just to add to green acres my exmark dealer in town still has his first and only exmark that i demoed a yr ago he is just trying to sell the thing like couple hundred more than his cost. Meanwhile i think the walker dealer has sold like 15 or 20 maybe more
Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I went through a relatively exhaustive demonstration cycle comparing the Walker MT20 and a Navigator. Quality of cut, ease of operation, maintenance (both machines are tight behind the seat), dumping ability, comfort were just some of the criteria I utilized when comparing both machines.
What I found was the Navigator was a pretty good reverse engineered machine utilizing the Walker as a prototype.
The Navigator ended up being less to purchase by almost $1,900.00 as compared to the Walker.
Ironically, I was more interested in the Walker as there are more attatchments for it.
I ended up with the Navigator as the local JD dealer who supposedly carries Walker had never even sold one and didn't want to bring any in just for me.
The dealer I had existing relations with through all of my Gravely purchases also carries Exmark so I purchased it through him.
I was able to take advantage of the 0% for 36 months promo but when I returned for a second machine about three months later, the promo dealer was over.
Overall, I have been pleased with the machine, it's performance and durability. Once that 27hp Kohler broke in, fuel useage has markedly decreased to about 1.5 gph as compared to the 2.5 and higher during break in.
I (or rather my crews) put about 500hrs pr year on the Navigator as compared to the 700+ on our ztr's. It runs well in the 110*F+ heat as well as the 25*F cold days.
Would I buy one again, absolutely. I just wish I had gotten two machines during the promo period instead of one.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

walker-navigator-maby john deere

Im in the same boat looking for a new machine for summer im have emailed dealers for prices the thing I dont like about the exmark the bigest deck you can get is the 48 inch mowing deck in my walker bid I asked with the prive would be for a a 18 horse with a 48 inch ghs deck and a 56 inch side discharge