Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Some Advice!!

We have an account which is town homes, our main account 75 units. Of these 75 units maybe half have glass doors in front of their front doors. We have busted out 4 glass doors weed eating around their doors and drive ways. Should we tell them that we will no longer weed eat around the front of their homes if they have glass doors, but we will mow with the lawn mower as close to their house as possible. This is starting to cut into the bottom line. Any Advice would be use full.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

personally i think someone needs to learn how to use a string trimmer or someone needs fired.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
personally i think someone needs to learn how to use a string trimmer or someone needs fired.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Here's some things to try: Try slowing down the string speed so it doesn't catch as much. Put a good edge w/ an edger so there isn't as much trimming to do along the front sidewalk. Make sure you are only trimming the same height as grass that was already cut; that way you aren't digging in at all.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
i think everyone could agree on this one

p.s. - there is no way to avoid throwing rocks 100% of the time. it's still very possible to do it if your mower has a mulch kit on it.... trust me i found this out first hand
Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another question. Why is there so many rocks around the doors? The guys need some training or some incentive not to break them. Put $100 (whatever)in a pot the first one to break it and the other guy gets the money.
Do you have the guards on the trimmers?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For every Window broken, the price comes out of the crews checks. You'd be amazed how many problems you can solve, by making the crew members accountable.

All those "unavoidable" incidents...suddenly start being avoided.

It's like magic.

If you don't know who did it, hold them all accountable. You'll soon found out who did it.

Last edited by SouthernFried; 01-10-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

The above posts seem like the first steps. We run the line trimmers as slow as possible in light trimming most times to lesson the energy if we pick something up. A equipment option you could try is a reciprocator trimmer. Redmax has them (SGCZ 2500 Reciprocator). The other brands could have them as well but I have not seen them. They cut with a scissor action and drop the clippings versus throwing them. Think of them as a round hedge trimmer head on a line trimmer. I have not used them so make sure you demo first to see if they would work in your situation. IIRC they were more expensive then a similar line trimmer but likely less expensive then glass replacement if they work for your team.

Wayne
Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd think that using a trimmer correctly would solve this, and like was already mentioned, as small a throttle setting that will still allow the string to trim effectively.

I trim along a lot of rock beds, and throw very few rocks. I try to go from right to left whenever possible(with a CCW string rotation) so that if I do pick up a stone, it flies away from the bed into the grass.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it possible to spray a bead of round up along these areas .....to cut down on weed eating ??

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 01-11-2007, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

spray a growth regulator on the problem areas.