Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willofalltrades View Post
Depending on the condition of the machine and the price it might be a good buy. If it has the same motor as mine (2-stroke 400cc) you will be able to pull the front end up no problem, its a fast machine. I have never had a problem with a belt. A friend had a 1994 trail boss (I think) 300. Last year he took the thing apart to inspect the clutch and belt. The belt was like brand new, and it was 11-12 years old. I did have a clutch go on my Sprotsman 500 while I was using it to plow snow. That stunk, but I got a service technician from a polaris dealer to do it at his house. Yes that was the first time the belt slipped but its 5 5-6 years old. I replaced the gasket and went out riding last night. Its so flooded here it felt like I was riding a jet ski (2-3 feet of water on the trails). not one problem the entire night. Also, the pics look like it was a pain in the ass to do, I was suprised, I had the damn thing back together in an hour and a half. Let me know what happens as far as you lookin at the 400.
Thanks for the reply. I am probalby going to get it. It is in perfect shape. It is an auto, so i don't have to worry about a clutch, even though a manual tranny is more fun. The price is right for me: free! I am trading my car trailer for it which is worth around $1600 or so. I am not afraid of getting my hand dirty working on it. Whenever I mention Polaris all I hear is belt this, belt that. My uncle has a 7 year old 500 that he beats the crap out of and has never has a problem.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffdeer View Post
Those are Sweet. But aren't the rear wheels chain driven?

Personally, I'd choose the Arctic Cat SxS or the Yamaha Rhino.

Polaris wouldn't be my first choice for anything. Seen to many things go wrong with them. However, you can beat the plush ride on them.

Chain driven? Not hardly, this machine has automotive-like differentials and everything is coupled with drive shafts. A machine will perform well if you take care of it. I have owned both Cat and Polaris and don't see one more trouble free than the other. But that comes only from my personal experience.

I did look at the other brands but unfortunately they are a bit to golf cart like for me. By that I mean they simply do not have the cargo carrying capacity or width of the Polaris 6x6.

DA

Dig Safely New York Field Rep

Last edited by Bayrat; 01-14-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Bob,

What did the windshield and soft cab sell for if I may ask?

DA

Old 01-15-2007, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
Bob,

What did the windshield and soft cab sell for if I may ask?
All my options are added as one total on my invoice, but I beleive the soft cab was around $680, the windsheild was around high $400's, and the wipers were $299.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
Chain driven? Not hardly, this machine has automotive-like differentials and everything is coupled with drive shafts. A machine will perform well if you take care of it. I have owned both Cat and Polaris and don't see one more trouble free than the other. But that comes only from my personal experience.

I did look at the other brands but unfortunately they are a bit to golf cart like for me. By that I mean they simply do not have the cargo carrying capacity or width of the Polaris 6x6.
Ah, Ok. Shafts are good. My neighbor up north has the ATV version of the 6x6 (ATV front end with additional set of tires) and both sets of rear tires are driven from chains. Its most likely a 95 or a 96 though.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Just got this and LOVE IT!!!Sportsman 500 H.O. Browning Edition
Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice looking machine! The Polaris has the automatic front axle traction lock, something the others had to play catchup with. Much the same as my 6x6 when I choose to not be in just four wheel drive, I can set it to automatically kick the front wheels in if needed.

DA

Old 01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffdeer View Post
Ah, Ok. Shafts are good. My neighbor up north has the ATV version of the 6x6 (ATV front end with additional set of tires) and both sets of rear tires are driven from chains. Its most likely a 95 or a 96 though.
The green machine at the begining of this thread is chain driven, whats so wrong with it?