Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2007, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Removing shrubs

Anybody know any efficient ways to pull out old yews and junipers? I usually tackle these old tough shrubs with my Toro Dingo and a "spade" type attachment (a V shape "bucket" that is about 2 feet long and has a 12" toothed face to dig). I can did around them easily but the Dingo doesn't have enough power to just un-earth them. Still have to use loppers, hand dig a little, maybe a spade bar & maybe an axe. Just a long dirty exhausting job. Anybody know any tricks? Car jack & chain? or ????
Old 01-13-2007, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I sometimes use a sawzall if I don't feel like digging. I can just push it into the loose soil & cut. I've also dug around the base & pulled one out w/ the truck though.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

treefeeder, inject a couple of hundred gallons into the ground, chain to dingo bucket, they will come right out, we also use this technique to straighten trees and not break roots
Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We like to use our pallet forks to get under the shrubs and lift them out. We sometimes have to take loppers and cut some roots but for the most part it pulls them up.

Altough junipers can be nasty to get out if they are old and established. They are like tree trunks and we wind up chainsawing them off and working around them or ripping them out with a backhoe.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We wrap a strap around them and yank them with the truck or tractor. No digging necessary...they come right out. We have used a come-along in places we don't have access. Occasionally though, you do have to use the ol' dig and chop method. This is where a mattock is handy. The ultimate handtool for this type of thing.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

winches work well!

get a 10 thousand pound pull winch it does wonders , roots an all sometimes needs a little pick action buy they put right out!!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure if the advice being given here is very sound. I don't and won't pull out shrubs like the way your saying here. We cut them off and dig around the stump and bust roots with an axe and pull them out. Pulling out stumps sounds good until you tear up the foundation, electrical lines, water lines, sewer lines, or something worse. Roots can grow 8' or more from the plant wrapping themselves around all of the above and ripping them out may do alot of damage. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try this..I know it will work. Attach a rope or chain around the bottom of the plant(if you can go under a few roots it will help). Place an automotive wheel(or wheel and tire) next to the plant situated under the tow rope. Now, when you pull it out with your dingo, it will direct the force up instead of laterally. I've used this method to uproot very large trees with tractors.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

4 in 1 bucket?? Ummm, just grab and pull. I can't believe I'm hearing all this tie a rope to your truck stuff. Definitely not sound advise.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724 View Post
I'm not sure if the advice being given here is very sound. I don't and won't pull out shrubs like the way your saying here. We cut them off and dig around the stump and bust roots with an axe and pull them out. Pulling out stumps sounds good until you tear up the foundation, electrical lines, water lines, sewer lines, or something worse. Roots can grow 8' or more from the plant wrapping themselves around all of the above and ripping them out may do alot of damage. I would rather be safe than sorry.
I do it the same way better be safe then sorry!!!