Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Explosions definatly explosions!
Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My guys found an efficient way to pull shrubs out of the ground last week. We have a ripper attachment for the dingo, and they turned it so that the one middle tine faces up... then they wrapped a strap around it and then to the plant. They pulled all of them up w/ no problem. They even surprised me pulling up a few 8 foot hollies... they probably had to chop at some roots though.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724 View Post
I'm not sure if the advice being given here is very sound. I don't and won't pull out shrubs like the way your saying here. We cut them off and dig around the stump and bust roots with an axe and pull them out. Pulling out stumps sounds good until you tear up the foundation, electrical lines, water lines, sewer lines, or something worse. Roots can grow 8' or more from the plant wrapping themselves around all of the above and ripping them out may do alot of damage. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Seem like the hacking at roots w/ an axe or shovel would have the same effect on electrical and water lines. If the stump is big enough to be under a foundation... I doubt a dingo would budge it.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually ran into this same problem today. We have a ditch witch sk650 which is bigger than a dingo and it wouldn't rip out old waxmyrtle stumps. So then we tried a truck and chain. We broke a logging chain and the plant never moved. So then we cut all of them down to the ground and hired a stump grinder to come in and grind all of them. This saved us time and labor and we still made a good profit off of it just for cutting and watching.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs12bigfoot View Post
I actually ran into this same problem today. We have a ditch witch sk650 which is bigger than a dingo and it wouldn't rip out old waxmyrtle stumps. So then we tried a truck and chain. We broke a logging chain and the plant never moved. So then we cut all of them down to the ground and hired a stump grinder to come in and grind all of them. This saved us time and labor and we still made a good profit off of it just for cutting and watching.
I get scared when putting serious tension on chains. If it snaps it can cause serious damage.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw an attachment at the Louisville show for a mini-ex that was designed specifically for this purpose . It is a metal frame with a 3 inch hydraulic cylinder that lifts the plant straight up with a chain . I saw that attachment on e-bay last night in the skid steer section - they now make one for full sized skid steers . Costs sbout 2.5k , which is why I haven't bought one yet. The key is lifting the plant up , not out , slowly. I have had success with the box blade and boom of my tractor , because they will lift up , slowly. For really overgrown plants , I have rented a mini-ex before - you can loosen the soil around the plant , then lift it out with the bucket again slowly to minimize collateral damage. I don't have the nerve to snatch any plant - can envision foundations and sidewalks cracking , water , electric , and cable lines coming up out of the ground , lawsuits .... I still vividly recall the time many years ago when I tied a chain around a stubborn pine stump , got a running start and ripped the bumper totally off of my 64 Chevy pickup - that would have made an entertaining video ....
Old 02-20-2007, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I grab my 2 king of spades chainsaw and my lopers and say lets go boys.

RCGM
Brad
Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

As far as removing shrubs goes, you should always have locates, so you can chain 'em up and get 'em gone. A come along works great if you can put a tow strap to an existing large tree, since come alongs are cheap and strong. But nothing beats a good mattock for sheer violent sadistic destruction.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

couldn't have said it better.. pure poetry
Old 02-21-2007, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree with lawnpro724 on this. Unless the ones that need to be pulled out are so far away from anything that could cause any damange then yanking might be the ticket. When people want junipers, evergreens removed it is usually around the house. We had a lady that had about 12 evergreens/juniper type trees surrounding her house. They were very well established to say the least. We had done it the same way as lawnpro724.
In the end it is your decision on how you do this.

Good Luck

L