Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2007, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Hay Alternative

I'm working on seeding a property and am trying to find an alterternative to hay to lay over the seed. There is an extreme hay shortage, at least around here, and it is hard to find. When it is available, it's $9/sq. bale! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My first suggestion, or question rather, is why are you using hay in the first place? You should be using straw...less weed seeds and less of a headache down the road.

If you are looking for a cost alternative even to $9/bale good luck.

We have used pen mulch in the past and it works well and their is no mess. But that is rather pricey. Lesco has it (although the run out often..in our experience). I forget the price but its more than straw at $3-5/bale.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

penn mulch, hydroseed, mats/blankets...
Old 01-15-2007, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess by hay I meant straw. We don't do this very often and that's just what we call it. But those sound like good alternatives.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know what you have for mulch down there, but you can spread that over seed as well. I do that on small areas that i have to seed. Although I have done it on larger areas as well. Works good, just a bit time consuming
Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Penn Mulch

Penn Mulch is looking like what I might go with, primarily because of the extra chemical boost to the seed. Is that readily available at most landscape supply places? And is it okay for most all types of grass?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One of Three View Post
Penn Mulch is looking like what I might go with, primarily because of the extra chemical boost to the seed. Is that readily available at most landscape supply places? And is it okay for most all types of grass?
Yes, it is available at most landscape supply places. Actually, I even saw it in home depot this past summer but it was a few bucks more than lesco (even though it was a lesco product).

However, I feel the penn mulch is a waste with the starter fertilizer built in. You are better broadcasting the starter and working it into the soil so its more readily available for the seedlings.