Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2000, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to be a pessimist but what are your ideas on the things about this business that really upset you? I know that this is what the forum is for but just leave one or two ideas and we will go from there.
Old 03-17-2000, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bad payers<br>Slack workers
Old 03-17-2000, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bites...Last season I was stung by a bee, and bit by a dog. I will get out of this biz if I am bit by a human. I stress over the fall clean-up, the leaves fall, leaving a short window of opportunity before the snow falls.
Old 03-17-2000, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

To me, the bad part is, no real time to plan any vacation, since Im a solo operator who also does snow. Real hard to get a week during the growing season let alone two. Last season I rented a cottage for the family for two weeks, I spent a few days in a row, then commuted the rest of the time. Winter I plow snow. Spent a week in Florida one winter, spent almost $700 to get a one-way ticket home so I could plow an unexpected late-season storm.<p>But hey, at least Im getting rich <p>Bill
Old 03-17-2000, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

i must agree with the lawnguy....i too plow and it makes going an vacation really tough...this year i hope to get the spring clean ups done early so i can get a week in florida between the clean ups and the first cut.but i do love being my own boss.<p>scott
Old 03-17-2000, 09:33 AM

I have to agree Bees are a number one problem in this area. Yellow jackets coming out of the ground and crevises get ruin a whole week for you. One year I got stung 4 seperate time by no less then 10 or more of them and one time it was a hornets nest in a bush. On the good side I have avoided some nest every year just by luck and scanning the site real well.<br>Late payers, collecting money, hard to satisfy customers, customer whom you befriended and they die, heat and humidity, breakdowns just when you are rolling good, getting caught in the rain, No summer vacation, spending your profit on new equipment, explaining why you have to charge what you do, leaves, boredom of repetition. Otherwise its fun
Old 03-17-2000, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since we're talking bees....<p>I was donating time installing a paver walk for a city park, and had a soda sitting nearby. Was thirsty, took a big draw on the straw, and thought 'soda shouldn't have chunks'. Didn't realize there were bees everywhere. I tried to work the 'chunk' back out of my throat, and when I did - felt a little pain. Stung on the inside of my throat!<p>I was nervous the next few hours - closed windpipes can be bad for your health. <p>For the next day or so after the sting I sounded like I was going through puberty again.<p>
Old 03-17-2000, 11:07 AM

Oh man! That made be cringe Stonehenge. That could have killed u easily.
Old 03-17-2000, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Believe me, I was on the cell phone to a 24hr nurse line within 2 minutes. I had allergy meds in the truck (antihistamine), which coincidentally help for this. My sister is a doc, said if I was allergic to bee stings it would have killed me in 5 minutes.<p>Sometimes you think of what way you'll end up leaving this earth - this one hadn't occured to me.
Old 03-17-2000, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

The things I hate most are the humidity, dew in the mornings, and last but mostly the commercial jobs for mulch or annuals, busting you butt for a bunch of hours, all the while knowing that you MIGHT see your money in 30 days, more like 40