Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2007, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question Truck question?

Dodge Ram 1500, GMC Sierra 1500, and Ford F-150 are all the same level model trucks correct?

i know they all have different engine sizes and stuff, i am just wondering if the base models of all three perform alike.

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape
Old 01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends if you want extended cab our not. If so don't get the ford the F150's extended cab is like half the size of Chevy and Gmc's Dodge has the biggest extended cab.Oh yeah and it costs the exact same for extended cab on all of them.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

regular cab is fine for me

Old 01-18-2007, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

i suggest the gmc i have a 06 gmc 3500 and its great i had a 97 chevy 1500 with the 4.3 vortec v6 and that truck would pull a 12 foot trailer loaded to the limit better then my dodge 2500 with a v8 and it would stop it good to and i didnt have elec brakes either and i dont like fords
Old 01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct assuming they are the same class (i.e.: 1/2 ton).

You will find these 1/2 ton types to be the most abundant, they are the most frequently seen full-size p'up truck on the road, mainly due to the fact that it's geared and behaves like a car and thus many people drive them as such (because most p'up trucks are never used for their true intended purpose but maybe once or twice / year). While driving one does have the odd feel of the body, the quiet ride and the evenly spaced gears give away little about the fact that this is supposed to be a truck, and it feels very much like a car. While anyone will tell you that these are great trucks, towing with these is hard on the bands or clutch of the transmission, frequently causing premature wear and subsequent failure.

Once you get into 3/4 tons (250 / 2500's), suddenly you're into a rare commodity but this would be my class truck of choice for our kind of work.
Although strangely enough, the engine sizes are similar or the same, the gears of the transmission are spaced closer together. The 3/4 ton is the first pick up truck that shares mild characteristics of say, an 18-wheeler (I said it's mild). While a newer one can ride almost like a car, the stiff suspension, the extra duty brakes and the closer gearing on top of a 5,000 rpm redline gives it away: this really is almost like a TRUCK. You can, on occassion, feel a hint of a huff and puff, but it's an in-between, this tough as nails truck will tow a 1,000+ pound trailer every day and you can pull other people's car(s) with it on occasion.

Full tons (350's /3500's) are at least as elusive, thou these are frequently used as ambulances and tow trucks.
The full ton's tranny has even closer spaced gears, and thou I've never driven one, must admit it feels like a TRUCK when riding in one.
Yup, you can hear these things grinding when shifting, and huffing and puffing just like a real truck lol.
While these workhorses could pull a house off it's foundation, it is mostly intended for pulling 3000-6000 pounds on a regular basis.

Last edited by topsites; 01-18-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

i agree somwhat but i put 70 k of pulling with my 1500 v6 and i would have 2500# daily and it pulled great and with dual flowmasters out the rear you could hear it huff and puff
but i will admit my dump gets horible gas milege 8 mph but you can drive it on a daily basis w or w/o a load i ve taken it on 200 mile road trips and it rides smooth its not until you start thrashing it around in pot holes and bumpy roads that it feels like a rough truck they really came along way w truck suspensions
05 toro z 60"
01 jd 36 wb
06 honda commercial pushmower
2007 8x16 utility trailer
2007 8X16 skid steer trailer
billy goat loader
ryan aerater
1997 mustang 2040 skid steer
shindaiwa,husqavarna,stihl,redmax, and jd handhelds
and a lot of other stuff
Old 01-19-2007, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

You will find these 1/2 ton types to be the most abundant, they are the most frequently seen full-size p'up truck on the road, mainly due to the fact that it's geared and behaves like a car and thus many people drive them as such (because most p'up trucks are never used for their true intended purpose but maybe once or twice / year). While driving one does have the odd feel of the body, the quiet ride and the evenly spaced gears give away little about the fact that this is supposed to be a truck, and it feels very much like a car. While anyone will tell you that these are great trucks, towing with these is hard on the bands or clutch of the transmission, frequently causing premature wear and subsequent failure.

Once you get into 3/4 tons (250 / 2500's), suddenly you're into a rare commodity but this would be my class truck of choice for our kind of work.
Although strangely enough, the engine sizes are similar or the same, the gears of the transmission are spaced closer together. The 3/4 ton is the first pick up truck that shares mild characteristics of say, an 18-wheeler (I said it's mild). While a newer one can ride almost like a car, the stiff suspension, the extra duty brakes and the closer gearing on top of a 5,000 rpm redline gives it away: this really is almost like a TRUCK. You can, on occassion, feel a hint of a huff and puff, but it's an in-between, this tough as nails truck will tow a 1,000+ pound trailer every day and you can pull other people's car(s) with it on occasion.

Full tons (350's /3500's) are at least as elusive, thou these are frequently used as ambulances and tow trucks.
The full ton's tranny has even closer spaced gears, and thou I've never driven one, must admit it feels like a TRUCK when riding in one.
Yup, you can hear these things grinding when shifting, and huffing and puffing just like a real truck lol.
While these workhorses could pull a house off it's foundation, it is mostly intended for pulling 3000-6000 pounds on a regular basis.
for now im only going to be pulling a 8x5 or 10x6 trailer with a 36" wb and a 21" push ( with all of the other handheld tools) and do a couple of small mulch jobs..for the price it hink the 1/2ton will be the best for now...when i need to move up to 3/4 tons ill do that...but that probably wont be until i graduate college in 2009

thanks for that write up too i cleared a lot of stuff up

Old 01-19-2007, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
While anyone will tell you that these are great trucks, towing with these is hard on the bands or clutch of the transmission, frequently causing premature wear and subsequent failure.
Help me understand why so many people buy trucks with automatic transmissions for use as a work truck in the first place?

I've never even owned an automatic truck.

Heck, I've been sitting here 5 minutes now trying to remember if I have ever even driven one. Not one occasion even comes to mind yet.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 01-19-2007, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
Help me understand why so many people buy trucks with automatic transmissions for use as a work truck in the first place?

I've never even owned an automatic truck.

Heck, I've been sitting here 5 minutes now trying to remember if I have ever even driven one. Not one occasion even comes to mind yet.
auto is nice of you have employees or plow alot of snow.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

The gearing is not what seperates a 1 ton from a .5 or even a .25 ton truck. Frame size is what seperates them. My 1 tom 04 F350 with a psd runs 3.73 gearing. Nut I could get even lower gearing for it. It is also the same gear ratio that was in my 01 150 with the 5.4l. Also I have had cars that had high red line. That don't factor in either. Except as to where does it produce it's max tourge and max hp. Half tons are good trucks. But if I were going to be towing plowing or carry alot of weight often, then I would get a .75 ton or 1 ton. Also there are heavy half tons. My 01 was one. Kind of a light 3/4.