Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2007, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I pull a 14' open trailer loaded with a 52" ZTR, blowers, trimmers, tools, toolbox, gas cans, wheelbarrow, aerator(sometimes), etc, with a Toyota Tundra V8. It is smaller than an F150, but I have no problem at all. However, I would never put a load of anything heavy (like stone) directly in the bed of the truck. I also will not plow with it.

I did once break a leaf in one leaf spring. But other than that no problems in three seasons of mowing, and now 97K miles.

My neighbor swears by his much bigger and nicer F250 to do the same work. But I think he gets only about 10mpg, and I get about 15mpg pulling the trailer.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Toyota makes a great 1/4 ton truck. Wish they would build a real 1 ton.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDF350 View Post
Your wish has been granted sir.

2007 Toyota Tundra.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopkeeper View Post

2007 Toyota Tundra.
I said real 1 ton.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopkeeper View Post
2007 Toyota Tundra.
Quote:
I said real 1 ton.
ya a tundra is a half ton
Old 01-19-2007, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

JM L&L,

YOU have to make that decision..out of the 4 or 5 companies out there .....which dealer will support your truck purchase with great service and $$$ savings at purchase??? ....The new Toyotas are supposed to be great and the "Big 3 " will always have their "Cheerleaders" ...

I'm on my 3rd Toyota Tacoma but will need to upgrade if the new LCO actually leaves the "Ground"...A small pu/ will not do.....The family F-150 Lariat will be a start but it is only 2wd....but it does pull the boat quite nicely

Automatic versus standard is very "old school".todays tech-specs allow Autos in the biggest rigs (all of our new Mack Granites are Allisons hauling 15-18 ton )and our Volvo rock trucks (35-40 tonners ) have always been "Juice drive"

Go test drive the trucks BUT also the dealerships.....find one that treats you with the same respect that you give your customers......The LCO's around here that grow or profit the most establish those kinds of relationships with all of their "Jobbers".....loyalty creates loyalty.........and those "Perks" can be quite rewarding......

Snoope back quiet
Old 01-19-2007, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM L&L View Post
for now im only going to be pulling a 8x5 or 10x6 trailer with a 36" wb and a 21" push ( with all of the other handheld tools) and do a couple of small mulch jobs..for the price it hink the 1/2ton will be the best for now...when i need to move up to 3/4 tons ill do that...but that probably wont be until i graduate college in 2009

thanks for that write up too i cleared a lot of stuff up
For no more than you're going to be doing there, a 'mini' truck would be fine.
Ford, Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, etc... any mini...
Heck, a mini with a V-6 will tow a BIG Z around just fine.
I have a V-6 Ranger XLT 5-speed.... extremely high mileage now.
It will pull a 60" Z and all the goodies no problem.
The only time you know it's back there is on long uphill grades... but the truck is old.
And you'll know it's back there if you have to stop hard and the trailer has no brakes.

Matter of fact, the gas mileage and power is good enough that when I went to pick up a new 60" from 80 miles down the road, I hooked the 6x10 to the Ranger and went after it. No sense wasting the gas to take a big truck down there for that. The old Ranger yanked that Z up the interstate at 75 mph no problem.

So yeah, you'll be just fine with a half ton truck for a long time.
My Ranger can handle anything within reason I can put on the 6x10.
So a half ton will have no trouble at all.

I like manuals, the majority seem to like automatic.
Just if you get an auto, make sure it's not a Dodge.
A friend of mine here used to be in the business and his trans went out after less than two seasons of just towing a trailer.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 01-19-2007, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

my 1/2 ton chevy with a v6 and helper springs could haul 1.5 ton in the bed with ease and i used that truck for the first 6 years that i i was cutting and landscaping helper springs are a must for a lighter duty truck that youll be using for work hellwigs are who made my and i bought them from the acme truck catalog now known as supertruck catalog and they only run for about a $150 for 1500# and $250 for 2500# installation is a breeze just a couple of bolts
05 toro z 60"
01 jd 36 wb
06 honda commercial pushmower
2007 8x16 utility trailer
2007 8X16 skid steer trailer
billy goat loader
ryan aerater
1997 mustang 2040 skid steer
shindaiwa,husqavarna,stihl,redmax, and jd handhelds
and a lot of other stuff
Old 01-19-2007, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
For no more than you're going to be doing there, a 'mini' truck would be fine.
Ford, Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, etc... any mini...
Heck, a mini with a V-6 will tow a BIG Z around just fine.
I have a V-6 Ranger XLT 5-speed.... extremely high mileage now.
It will pull a 60" Z and all the goodies no problem.
The only time you know it's back there is on long uphill grades... but the truck is old.
And you'll know it's back there if you have to stop hard and the trailer has no brakes.

Matter of fact, the gas mileage and power is good enough that when I went to pick up a new 60" from 80 miles down the road, I hooked the 6x10 to the Ranger and went after it. No sense wasting the gas to take a big truck down there for that. The old Ranger yanked that Z up the interstate at 75 mph no problem.

So yeah, you'll be just fine with a half ton truck for a long time.
My Ranger can handle anything within reason I can put on the 6x10.
So a half ton will have no trouble at all.

I like manuals, the majority seem to like automatic.
Just if you get an auto, make sure it's not a Dodge.
A friend of mine here used to be in the business and his trans went out after less than two seasons of just towing a trailer.
thats good to know, because i was originally looking at the 3.0L ranger or the mazda 3000 mainly because it is also going to be my personal car to drive around in so i want to get somewhat decent gas mileage on it

but then i figured that the smaller less powerful engine would be working a lot harder and using more gas than an f-150 v6 would be using. but if it doesnt have a problem towing a smaller open trailer i may as well go with the ranger for now since the gas mileage is better and it is cheaper altogether.

thanks a lot envy,
justin

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape
Old 01-19-2007, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM L&L View Post
thats good to know, because i was originally looking at the 3.0L ranger or the mazda 3000 mainly because it is also going to be my personal car to drive around in so i want to get somewhat decent gas mileage on it

but then i figured that the smaller less powerful engine would be working a lot harder and using more gas than an f-150 v6 would be using. but if it doesnt have a problem towing a smaller open trailer i may as well go with the ranger for now since the gas mileage is better and it is cheaper altogether.

thanks a lot envy,
justin
No problem... and you are also in luck because I'm a Ford man primarily.

When it comes to fuel economy, there is NO reason to get a V-6 F150.
It's a larger heavier truck than the Ranger, more than the liter of displacement can make up for. The result is that you get an F150 with no better gas mileage than the V-8... and worse in some cases when you are working it. So you get a full size truck for less, but it's weaker.

The Rangers can be had in 2.3L I-4, 3.0L V-6 and 4.0L V-6.
I've had all of them. The I-4 gets the best gas mileage and is not way far off the 3.0L if it's in a 'straight truck'.... no air, no power steering, ect. The 3.0L can run the XLT package and still have more power and torque. Plus the life of them is so much longer if you keep it around for a 'run-about' errands truck later. The 4.0L is really stout, but uses nearly as much gas as a V-8 but doesn't have that level of power.

So I prefer the 3.0L in this size truck due to the power, gas mileage and long-long life. The way I see it, it has enough power to pull anything you can safely stop with it.

In your area you probably don't have much in the way of hills to deal with. Just bad traffic. I probably average 20 mpg in tow. Maybe 15 mpg on the hilly routes with a big ZTR behind it. I would expect you to average 20 mph about all the time. On the open road running errands it gets 25 mpg or better.

So I vote for the Ranger 3.0L, a reciever hitch and a small trailer. Brakes on the trailer don't hurt either. If you are going full-size, get the V-8... just expect 15 mpg or less around town and towing and 20 mpg absolute best running empty on open roads.

Also remember that 4x4 and auto trannys hurt the gas mileage too.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"