Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2007, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
Help me understand why so many people buy trucks with automatic transmissions for use as a work truck in the first place?

I've never even owned an automatic truck.

Heck, I've been sitting here 5 minutes now trying to remember if I have ever even driven one. Not one occasion even comes to mind yet.
You can tow with an automatic. Automatics make great work trucks, I don't know why you wouldn't have an auto.....Envy, how old are you? You must be from the "old school"!

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
You can tow with an automatic. Automatics make great work trucks, I don't know why you wouldn't have an auto.....Envy, how old are you? You must be from the "old school"!
I get asked how old I am all the time.
I'm one of those people who is older than my time style old school I guess.
I'm 32 right now.

I learned to drive when I was just a kid... and it was in an old flatbed on the farm. It was a manual tranny. I'd drive that and the hay truck and trailer sometimes too (I usually got stuck stacking hay).

I guess I wouldn't say I "wouldn't have and automatic truck" really... I have just never even considered one, so I've never owned one. I still haven't been able to recall ever driving one either. Just before I fell asleep lastnight I thought I remembered once, but then realized it was a 3-speed on the column (3 on the tree). I'm starting to believe I really never have driven one.... LOL.

My wife on the other hand... she won't even try to learn to drive a manual, which drives me absolutely up the wall. The autos seem ok to me in a family car. But the sporty cars... NO... and the SUV's... NO. They feel like slugs.

I've had one car my whole life that was an auto that I thought was OK. I once bought a Thunderbird Elan Coupe. I bought it used. It was an ex-Virgina State Trooper car. It was one of the unmarked Interceptors they used on I-95. It got bumped in the passenger door and taken out of service. Some rental car outfit bought it at auction, installed a new door skin, and later auctioned it off because nobody rented it. So I got my hands on a cherry trooper car at a young age. It had the 5.0L Intercepter (5.0L Cobra crome deleted) and a really well tuned auto tranny.

God that thing would hook up and run.... run like a scalded dog (as we say in the south). It was a wolf in sheep's clothing and I used to have an absolute ball with it. I never met a Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Trans-Am or anything else in the same 'era' that it wouldn't eat alive. That car never lost a race, short or long... and it would have taken serious 60's muscle to top it... and even then it would have taken something that could get off the line with some grip.

The tranny in it was really the key. It was set up for getting off the line perfect with no effort... whereas a built mustang would burn the tires half off. The little T-bird would lay a light, quick, straight POS, shift and bark and it was all over.

Now what were we talking about again?

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 01-20-2007, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks again envy, u were a huge help

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape