Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WB + Sulky Vs. Zero turn.

I am thinking of buying a large wb behind this spring but the more I read about sulky's and their problems I'm just wonder why don't these people just buy something you can sit in.

The only thing I can think of is Price and maybe a little extra trimming with a 21" mower. Am I missing something?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I must say, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the options that you have mentioned. It's all about what will work for you.

If you go with a Sulky, be sure to perform routine maintenance on it, just as you would your mower, and it ought to last you a long time.

The Wright Stander or Wright Sentar isn't a bad option either. The Wright mowers are very functional, compact, and powerful mowers. I own one, and am leaning heavily towards purchasing another one.

You have the option to either stand or sit on the Wright Sentar. The Sentar might just do the trick for you. Some folks might agree, and some folks might not.
-6.4L PowerStroke Turbo Diesel V8
'05 Haulmark 16' V-Nose, Tandem Axle Trailer
"My Favorite Baseball Team Is Any Team That Beats The Yankees!" - GO RedSox!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would say go with a ZTR because it's going to save a lot on your body. Plus your going to get more work done in less time. JMO

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

i go with the ztr i ran 2 wb and a tracter on 2.5 acres when i got my 60" toro ztr it cut the time in half with just using the ztr and 1 wb so i would go with the ztr and im looking at buying another one this spring
05 toro z 60"
01 jd 36 wb
06 honda commercial pushmower
2007 8x16 utility trailer
2007 8X16 skid steer trailer
billy goat loader
ryan aerater
1997 mustang 2040 skid steer
shindaiwa,husqavarna,stihl,redmax, and jd handhelds
and a lot of other stuff
Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcondon View Post
I would say go with a ZTR because it's going to save a lot on your body. Plus your going to get more work done in less time. JMO
I got a bad leg would like to minimize walking, but if I could minimize standing that would be great to.

Best bang for buck in ztr's? Nothing over 10k either I guess mulching is important. I was looking at gravely 34z but I don't think they do anything but side discharge.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Vikings ... You don't say anything about the kind of mowing you intend to do, that is size of properties, terrain, etc.

Remember a ZTR will not travel where a w/b will travel. Terrain is very important. Somebody made a comment about ease on the body with a ZTR. From my experience, a ZTR on rough terrain, as compared to a w/b with sulky, will beat up the body moreso. Riding isn't everything it is cracked up to be on some properties. A change in productivity from a w/b to a ZTR will depend upon your conditions.

I added a 48" ZTR, after having used a 36" w/b with sulky for many seasons. On some properties, the wider ZTR is no more productive than the w/b. Terrain, maneuverability, and other factors make the w/b just as effective. If you have flat properties, with no obstructions, good access from the trailer, yes, the ZTR will be far more productive. But, some of us have no properties like that in our neighborhoods.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd be careful about going with a Z before you get a WB. Reason being a WB is a lot more versatile than a Z. Although the Z will outperform the WB in many applications.

As noted above you need to know what type of properties you will be servicing. Are there hills that a WB will hold but not the Z? Are there low hanging branches on a lot of the property that the Z can't get under but the WB can?

So no, IMO it is not just a price difference between Zs & WBs.

BTW, my two cents....

We have two sets of jungle jims (one on each hydro 48 WBs). They are 6 & 7 years old. They work just fine. One is a little bent but other than that if you keep the fittings greased reguraly you shouldn't have a problem with em.

Also, our Z is much easier on the back that our WBs. This is due to the fact that we have the suspension seat with different seat adjustments and armrest placements. Its acutally very comfortable. But, having used a Z without the suspension seat...yes that is horrible!!! I'll take standing over that any day.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i could buy 2 - 48" walkbehinds and 2 junglejim sulkys for the price of one Z.

not worth it in my book.. i have never had a problem with my setup.. i like it.
soo many people get into this with too high of costs..
unless your doing lots of enormous places i'd stick with the WB and sulky
Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I ran my first 5 years with nothing but Wb's and velkes.

Many a day did I feel that need, that urge to want to sit on my tail, thinking it would be easier on my body.
So, I bought a Z last year...
Dang thing set me back the cost of 3 Wb mowers (well, almost!).

And you know what I found, is that it is not more comfortable to sit.
Because instead of the shock going through your ankles / knees, when you sit and hit a bump, it goes from your tail right into your spine.
Yeah it has shock absorbers, but it's still a rough ride, it's still work.
I wouldn't say it's LESS comfortable, but probably about the same.

Either way, you feel it after a day (and the cost of the Z being so high to run, I hardly get to take it out but maybe twice / week).
If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy the Z (thou I don't regret it either).

p.s.: I do run T-bar mowers, toro wb's only.
I suspect if you operate pistol grip / ECS, then a Z would be a step up (but so would a Toro Wb).
Old 01-23-2007, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

We run both

On the large properties you can not beat the speed of a z. but when you get on hilly situations and where there are a lot of trees as mentioned earlier. The wb blows the z away. You have to have a good balance.