Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-23-2007, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

replacing seals in a wheel motor

i just picked up a good runing 61" bunton hydro w/b with a 18hp vangaurd for $177 but as to be expected it needs some work like deck bearings and alot of adjustments most of which i can do no problem except one of the wheel motors is covered in i assume hydro fluid it still works fine but id like to replace the seals for good measure and its not the hoses leaking i already checked those. jthomas has the seal kit for 26$ but i have no clue if its an easy install or if it will require any special tools to take apart. if any of you have done this id like to know how hard it was thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First you need to check that the wheel motors dont have too much play at the shaft. Jack the back of the mower off the ground and grab the wheel and see if you have up and down play if its excessive then dont wast your time just bite the bullet and replace them. If not then remove them and clean them off real good the back half of the wheel motor is built in layers so I usually mark a line down one side for refernce and lay out the pieces on a clean surface making sure to keep track of the order in which you removed them. Most of the kit will be large o-rings that go on each of the layers the main housing will have your seal and dust cover for the output shaft. Its really not that hard to do just time consuming.

Remember clean motor, clean work surface, keep track of the order of removal, and take your time.
Good luck, hope this helped

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When scribing the wheel motors...scribe a line lenght wise on the wheel motor and then scribe two lines next to each other at a 45 degree angle. This way if you lay the pieces down wrong you can tell which is shaft side and which is cap side of the sandwiched pieces. Just a tip to pass on.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks very much guys thanks what i needed to know
Old 01-25-2007, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let us know how it goes, good luck!

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?