Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My off-season purchases

I just bought:

1 slightly used dynamic wheel balancer (yes, the same kind they use at auto shops), was used for 1 year at a shop, then stored for 8-10 (yrs lol)... $400.
Still need the little weights and a couple small tools to remove / install them.
Now, once I get the hang of that stupid manual tire remover / installer, I should be able to do all my own tires (order from tirerack.com).

1 very little used (been used for about a month) RBG blade sharpener 1.5hp w/ 12" wheel, $350.
Once I saw it in action, I had to secretly admit I've been a fool all these years.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the balancer and blade grinder! I've been looking for a grinder, also.

My new (to me) purchases was a skid steer and International dump truck.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

topsites i cant figure out sometimes if you are smart with money or just a plain old cheap... ive never heard of anyone owning one of them for personal use

did you figure out how much money you will save this way for the next few years yet?

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king
Old 01-25-2007, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

thats pretty good , you just bought a tire balancer and I just got a tire changer, heres a pic of it.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2007, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, sometimes I wonder what am I doing, but then I do have 14 vehicle tires and another 6 mower tires that need changing (thou the last don't require balancing ).

Still, these balancers sell for a grand or two, I did find one new for $900 on ebay but why do I always find it even cheaper ONLY after I've already made the purchase?

As for why I buy this stuff, it saves a considerable amount of money when used during slow times (and also fills in those big gaps between zzzz).
Because in the winter or when work is slow, it really SUX: I can either do a whole load of crap work for next to nothing, or stay home and do nothing.
It's bad, the only calls I get is for some really off the wall stuff, almost like people are inventing some work, and the pay is like $10 / hour (literally).
The problem is, if I do it for customers, I hurt myself in more ways than just that by short selling my work / equipment / experience.
So, if I'm going to work for free, the best way to do it is for my own benefit as it at least feels somewhat gratifying.

I'm also thinking one day ahead, for retirement...
I can either re-sell a lot of this crap OR work from my own home with it (have the customers come to me vs. me going to them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
thats pretty good , you just bought a tire balancer and I just got a tire changer, heres a pic of it.
Ohhh that's a nice one (wiping slobber).

Had a guy swap my tires yesterday with one of those, he charged me $10 / tire and he used a balancer kinda like the one I bought.
Here's a pic of the balancer:
Attached Images

Last edited by topsites; 01-25-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

AAHHH the toys get better and better.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we got a tire changet but never bought the balencer yet
Old 01-26-2007, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
I just bought:

1 slightly used dynamic wheel balancer (yes, the same kind they use at auto shops), was used for 1 year at a shop, then stored for 8-10 (yrs lol)... $400.
Still need the little weights and a couple small tools to remove / install them.
Now, once I get the hang of that stupid manual tire remover / installer, I should be able to do all my own tires (order from tirerack.com).

1 very little used (been used for about a month) RBG blade sharpener 1.5hp w/ 12" wheel, $350.
Once I saw it in action, I had to secretly admit I've been a fool all these years.
NICE I would love to have 1 of those!!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshskis View Post
NICE I would love to have 1 of those!!
Hey tell me about the manual tire remover, i could use 1 of those.