Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2001, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Having nice customers that don't want to pay a fair rate always sucks. It makes me mutter under my breath. You have to deal with that before it really bugs you.

Try this: tell the customer that you charge a surcharge for policing dog dung. You consider golf balls to be just as much of a problem and just as time consuming. You didn't want to charge him more, so you had just been using the balls for the trouble and time spent on policing them. If he would like to keep them from now on you can begin charging the $15 dollar fee for the time spent.

You just may get the $40 you'd like.

And what the hell does "give back to the golfers" mean? That's love.
Old 07-07-2001, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You probably might just as well go for the price increase now, because if you mention the golfballs vs. price increase, you'll probably find that he'll say. "Go ahead, take the golf balls." But, you'll also find that there suddenly won't be hardly any golfballs because he'll start making it a point to have them all picked up when you come over on your scheduled time. In other words, for the money, he would just assume have the balls picked up. (like by a neighbor kid or something) Then, you're out the extra perk of the golfballs, AND out the cost that made up the difference of being worth it.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 07-07-2001, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

From what I can see you gave the discount at the neighbors request, and the homeowner, as far as I know, hasnt mentioned anything about the price per cut being too high, too low, etc.

I would just raise the price to where you feel it should be, treat it as just any other customers price increase and forget about the golf balls, neighbor, stroke, whatever. If there is an objection then deal with it when it comes, offer to keep the balls in lieu of increase, modify the increase, whatever you are comfortable with.
Old 07-07-2001, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

ray--IMHO they are his balls.

keep your hands off of them.

you should tell him that unless you can get your hands on his balls everytime you come over there that you are going to have to make a minor price adjustment.

then you will see how much he thinks his balls are worth.

GEO
Old 07-07-2001, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

You're spending an hour at this guys house for $30.00 ? A 10 hour day turns into $300.00 that's not much after equipment, employees, insurance etc.. etc.. At some point you've either got to fish or cut bait.
Old 07-07-2001, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

this guy is not "Giving" anything back to the golfers. If he is giving them back, why does he have a whole trash can full. Is he going to give them back after they die? He is saving them up till he fills the can up and is going to take them to the pro shop and sell them. All of your work, is all of his profit. Tell him that you will split the balls with him every week for your time and effort and keep the price at $30.00. Or you will give all the balls to him and raise your price accordingly for the extra labor.

I still can't believe he told you he was giving them back with a whole trash can full!BS!
Old 07-07-2001, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

George,
You are absolutely on the money. It is imperative to keep your hands OFF the customers balls!
Old 07-07-2001, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

mwm--hey for sure! no way am I gonna grab a customers balls!

GEO
Old 07-07-2001, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I would give him half of the golf balls and would tell him next time there will a Pick up charge per hour min one hour for $25.00
and I would get one of those extended pickers to get the balls.
Old 07-07-2001, 05:00 PM
Millenium Member

Thanks for all the replys. It's not really the golf balls or the money, it bothers me that he would 1) ask for them knowing he will never use them, 2) tell me he is going to "give them back", I also am not sure what that means, 3) he has a trash can full, 4) ask knowing I'm doing the job so cheap for them.

Mowed it yesterday, got 10 and the way I play golf I can use them on the first 9, when he is not home I do keep them! I will consider the suggestions above, I will finish out this year and decide. I feel with his home health care expenses and such I'm doing the right thing with charges now, however, if they can continue living in such an exclusive expensive home and afford it, I do see a price hike next year. I figure downsize the home or you can afford my normal rates next year!

Thanks all.