Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2007, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with wild onions

Hello all. Most of the customers lawns that I maintain have centipede grass, and a couple of these lawns are for lack of a better term are infested with wild onions. Do any of you know if there is a weed and feed fertilizer, or a product that will kill the wild onions but not damage the centipede grass.

Thanks in advance.

We love and own Ford Trucks. We run Great Dane ZTR's, Snapper Hydro Walk-behinds, John Deere Tractors, and lots of Husqvarna hand held equipment, and too much other stuff to list. We use equipment that fits our need, and are not loyal to a paint color or brand name. Color and name don't get the job done-the equipment and workers do.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got something in my shed for onion grass in lawns, it's in a spray bottle like homeowner roundup. Can't think of the name and I'm flat on my back (threw my back out today), but maybe someone else knows?
Old 01-28-2007, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A product called Coolpower works really well.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It disappears for the year after a couple of mowings. However--may I suggst that you use a top of the line herbicide mixed with a wetting agent to coat the onions more completely and reduce the amount that runs off the vertical waxy leaves. I suggest the organosilicone type wetting agent. It costs about a hundred dollars per gallon but a little goes a long way. Lesco calls theirs "Hawkeye". Rates for such products are about 2 to 13 ounces per hundred gallons. Wetting agents are mixed on a per gallon basis--not per thousand sq ft or acre. So...you need less with a lower volume of water--low volume saves money. Keep in mind wetting agents may cause foam if you sprayer has good agitation. Are you using big sprayer, PG, hand can, or back pack?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

wild onion

Other brands of organosilicone wetting agents are: Capsil by Scotts. Or Breakthru. Or Drench.
I could be wrong, but I think Lesco Hawkeye label has an error. Lesco Hawkeye costs about $49 for a half gallon. The label rate table indicates that you should use it at about 25 to 64 ounces per 100 gallons--about 12 times the rate for Capsil, (and 12 times the cost). At the highest rate, Hawkeye would use a whole 64 ounce jug for a hundred gallons at $49.
---Does anybody use Hawkeye? Anybody agree with me? Disagree?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow"N"Bud:
Dig you a deep trench from the Neuse River and flood the yard--it will kill anything. Couldn't help myself. I used to sail over there for many years and still have a buddy that we sail from there to Ocracoke and to Beaufort. I don't know too much about the wild onions but will check the books. Be Well, stay out of the Neuse River.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you can step on them before applying whichever herbicide you choose. it will allow the herbicide to translocate much easier.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

try Corsair Selective seems to work pretty good
Old 01-28-2007, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Before you spray them stomp on them to break the skin, this will let the herbicide absorb into the plant.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can spray it with 2,4-D at this time of year without fear. The Centipede should be as close to dormant as it gets and the 2,4-D shouldn't hurt it. I use Lesco Momentum liquid mixed at 1.5 oz per gallon on mine. Stomping is not required.