Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2000, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got a crazy idea, was curious on people's thoughts about it.<br>My market is 40 miles from where I live. I drive a 3/4 ton 4x4 Ford with a 460. I get about 8 miles per gallon. With gas prices the way they are now and what I've been hearing they are going to reach, I'm going to be spending a lot of cash on gas.<p>I also own a 1/2 ton Ford van which gets about 15 miles per gallon. Here's my idea. I gut the interior of the van. Install a refrigerator for cold drinks all day long. A small restroom for being able to relieve oneself without having to leave the job site to find a gas station. A small rv stove for hot lunches. Small table for office work. Small ladder on back to access the roof where I can store hand tools. The trailer I pull is only a 6x10 single axle. So it isn't much for the van to handle. I'll get almost twice the mileage, plus have home comforts on the road. I'll save money of less fuel, I'll save time on not having to leave for food, bathroom, etc...<br>Just an idea. Wondering what everyone thinks about this.
Old 03-13-2000, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, sounds good to me. But aren't you elimating those soletary moments with man and earth by installing a restroom in the van? Just picture, by gaining 7-9 miles per gallon, your saving around 10 bucks just by driving the van. Recent reports state that prices probably won't be coming down until July or August.
Old 03-14-2000, 01:18 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
If your mower is 48&quot; or less with a handy ramp van gate you could just work out of<br>the van and leave the trailer at home.<br>Put all your small tools etc in the van.<p>Forget all that RV crap!! All you need is<br>a six pack cooler, a plastic hopsital urinal,<br>and a 12vt fan.
Old 03-14-2000, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a used F150 van that was used by an air conditioning company, so it was already set up with bins and ladder racks. <p>I have bins for storage of all my hand tools, hedge trimmers, and spare parts, tools , etc. My string trimmers, blowers fit nicely the floor, and out of the weather.<p>For comfort needs I use a gallon snuggles (fabric softener) bottle as it has a wide opening for when you drink too much coffee in the morning and are in a hurry. I keep it sanitized daily with a shot of Pine Sol. Other functions are done before leaving house.<p>Plenty of room for an ice chest for keeping lunch and bottled water, gator aid, or whatever ya'll want to carry. Also doubles as a seat if someone has to ride in the back.(not recommended though) <p>Ya, I would say go for the Van, but skip making it an RV, or you'll be towing 4 wheelers instead of mowers.<p>Jim<br>
Old 03-14-2000, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 03-14-2000, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming your mileage quotes are with both vehicles unloaded, or both vehicles loaded. Your mileage will suffer from pulling a trailer, of course, but you're still bound to get better than a big block 4x4.<br>I say go for it. Nothin's cooler than having pride in using your smarts. They say necessity is the mother of invention; I believe it.<br>I don't know about hot lunches in the middle of summer, though. I'd think about a 110 volt power inverter plugged into a cigarette lighter to run a small microwave-check your amperage & watt capabilities to make sure you don't overload it. But small microwaves don't use alot of juice, & you don't need to worry about storing pots & pans, washing dishes, etc. Cook it in the container!<br>I'd definitely give it a go.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-14-2000, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use three vehicles to tow. my favorite is an E-150 former delivery vehicle, complete with am radio and the 300 ci six banger. the only thing in it is the two front seats. it's like driving down the road in a big cave! fill up the dual tanks and I'm road ready!<p>I haven't considered the comforts of home because in my market I'm never far from a store or fast food.<p>one very important thing to consider (that, of course, I have ignored so far) is that in the event of a serious front crash, all that stuff in the back is going to come forward. if the impact in the collision is sevier enough, ALL OF IT IS GOING TO BE ALL OVER YOU! a safety screen would help in this situation but it is doubtful that even a safety screen would stop a heavy piece of equipment. the question might be moot, however, as you might be dead from the crash first. oh well, just some thoughts. good luck.<p>GEO<p>the
Old 03-14-2000, 05:15 PM

Hello Everybody:<p>There is no way I can give a decent reply that will make everybody happy so please bare with me.<p>I drive a Chevy & I will probably own it till the day I die. I have it now, it's a 84 Silverado. <p>It's not as well built as a ford but it gets far better milage. Yes it's a 305 with a 4 barrel.<p>Most Fords don't do any better than about 16 or 17 with V8 (302) & I'm going to drive a full size with V8 until they quit making them. <p>Chevys have been getting 18 to 20+ miles to the gallon for years, even the 350s. Yes it hurts but ford is geared lower & built better. But I love Chevy's & will til I die.<p>What's with the gas milage, well look in back of you & it's not that tiny trailer or that equipment you are pulling.<p>It's that 4' to 6' wide air dam that sticks straight up 4' to 6' high. That is what is sucking that gas out of your tank. <p>High gas prices or not, this robs you of a lot of money in a years time. Also your handling is not as good either!<p>The air flow goes over the cab & goes toward where the bed & tail gate meet. Nothing much you can do about it, except keep the back full of stuff which most of you guys do anyway.<p>Sometimes when traveling & no load in back, let your tail gate down. You should see at least 2 miles to the gal difference or more.<p>Now you say that tail gate on that trailer is built out of expanded metal & air flows through it. Yeh right until you get up to about 20 or 25 MPH then it just as soon be solid wood or sheet metal. <p>Think of the size of that tail gate on your trailer & wind is pushing against it at say 40 or more miles a hour. I bet you & 10 more men couldn't hold it up.<p>That is where that extra 5 to 10 miles to the gallon is going. Not 2 tons of trailer & equipment that one man can push by himself. Your not pushing the equivlent of 30 to 50+ horsepower or the same as 5 to 10 miles to the gallon of gas. No way!<p>There is plenty that can be done about it, without sacrificing anything except about $200 to $300 which will pay for it self in no time in gas savings & better handling, which will reduce tire wear because you don't have all that horsepower robbing pressure pushing against the back of your trailer.<p>Sorry I can't tell you more, because I paid a lot of money & put a lot of time in this. But if you try & think real hard you can overcome this too!<p>Later in time I will sell this great idea!<p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 03-14-2000, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow where can I get one of those 20+ mpg v-8's.<br>The diesels trucks barely break that 20 mph mark.<br>And as far as early to mid 80 p/us go. I take issue with the ford being better than a gm. Jsut ask anyone woth a ttb front end, that cant keep tires on them.
Old 03-15-2000, 06:43 PM
Banned

I would agree with stone make a ramp put the machines in the van. LOck up out of the weather and all in one place. Letter up the sides and you now have a rolling bill board. It just like a enclosed trailer but you drive it.