Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2000, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Jason: Think twice,change your market area or your address. Too much time on the road with no pay.
Old 03-15-2000, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it is a great idea. <p>I have actually thought of try to purchase an old panel van (old UPS or Frito-Lay van) and putting a ramp on the back and hauling all of the equipment around that way. they make them pretty big. It would keep from having to back the trailer in the garage every night. Not sure of the gas mileage though. Probably not much better than the GMC I have now. I get somewhere around 15.<p>Just a thought.<p><p>----------<br>Jeff<br>
Old 03-16-2000, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies. Some good ideas out there. As for the mileage issue laden or unladen. The 3/4 ton Ford get's 8 mpg whether or not it's pulling a loaded trailer on not. Cruising at 75 down the highway it get's 8 mpg, stop and go traffic it get's 8 mpg. The van gets 15 unladen, not sure loaded.<p>A ramp gate is a great idea for the van, but not practical in my case with a 52&quot; Lazer. So the van would be pulling a trailer, possibly in the future if I get a walk behind I can go that route.<p>Somebody mentioned my distance from the market I serve. That is my biggest problem right now. But I can't justify a move quite yet. Where I am currently living is rent free, in a very rural area where I can store my equipment. If I were to move to my market, I'd be paying rent for a place to live plus rent for equipment storage. As it stands now my gas bill for running back and forth is about equivalent to a month's rent for an apartment not including storage. So for now I'll have to drive a lot.<p>Somebody mentioned cube vans. I have a friend with a '79 Ford cube van for sale if anybody is interested. It's located in North Dakota, and is cheap.<p>Thanks for all the ideas
Old 03-16-2000, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have recently put together a mowing truck. The chasis is an 87 Ford 350 diesel. The body is a 16 foot landscaper (12' flat and 4' beaver tail). The ramp is spring assisted and is 4'. It has a mesh box acroos the front, hand tool racks, trimmmer racks and blowere racks mounted along the 2' high mesh sides. A 4' underbody tool box finishes it off. I think that using this truck will save time and the headaches of a 50' rig in city traffic. I will soon add mounted fuel cells fopr both mix and regular gas. One trip to the gas station a week!<br>This is my version of the Super Lawn Truck. <br>If you want to see the real one visit www.superlawntruck.com .
Old 03-17-2000, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say the hell with mowing and cut a hole in the side of the van and sell hotdogs and urinal time to the guys that are mowing.Just kidding <br>