Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2007, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was one of those kids that did it part time after school, no license, insurance, charged $15 bucks per lawn, ect.

I eventually got into other things and got out of it, did it for three seasons, ages 16 to 18.

I have always wanted to start a legit lawncare company, ever since I stopped doing it the first time, and am now able to do it. I am 26 now, and work my lawn business Part Time, and Work Full Time.

This year I am planning on working on the Lawn Business Part time, but alot more than last year, and Working Part time at my main job

Next year I want to quit my regular job altogether and work for myself Full time.

I can't imagine doing anything else, this winter is killing me, I want to be outside working. I hate getting up to go to my regular job, I wake up before the alarm clock goes off on days I get to work for myself
Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This time of year, I love it. By the time we get to October it's sometimes a different story. I love the work I do. I enjoy looking at lawns after I am done with them. It allows me the flexibility to go to school full time and still ahve a job that pays worth a damn. There are pros and cons to it, but i would say the good outweighs the bad.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Was a nurse for many years and quit to do this. Love it. No boss. Your success coincided exactly with the amount of thought and work you put into your business. Very little B.S. to put up with. Work outdoors. Get in the best shape of your life (as long as you're not sucking down route 44 cokes all day) and one of the best parts, off all holidays and special events. In my case, I do balanced billing, so I'm off every other week during the winter Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and get paid full time. It's great. You won't be disappointed...tired, but not disappointed. -Ben

"Running a business without advertising is like blinking in the dark- no one else knows you are doing it but you." -Sean Adams
Old 02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the 2 posters above me. Sometime around Oct. I get pretty burned out on it but then the winter checks keep coming in and I only have to work half the time! that part is great. I wish my body would hold up a bit better though, hips hurt, knees hurt, lower back hurts. Trying to strengthen those areas up though over the slow period. Anyway, it is all in YOUR outlook and what YOU make out of it. For the most part you will probably find that many of the responders like what they are doing.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

i luv this business

i have had other jobs; parts manager; factory work; heating and air job; but this is what i was born for; lol; i have close to one hundred accounts and growing more this year; keeping employee's is my biggest problem; but it will work out;; this will be my 5th full time year;
Old 02-01-2007, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I kive it for mant of the sme reason everyone else said I am F/T now worked for Roadway Express for 10 yrs plus the Lawn thing for 6 of those years. I will be doing this long into the future. Hopefully I will be sitting in a truck telling about four crews what to be doing.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its great! Some days are better than others and by the end of the year im usually ready for a break but at the end of the day when its all said and done, i wouldnt trade it for the world. Nature, the equipment, it gets in your blood.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love it very much we do it all, plus it keeps me in shape and of corse I love the cash
Old 02-03-2007, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I love the freedom, flexibilty, creativity, no boss, being outside, the physical work, the money, mowing, aerating, de-thatching, warm days, cool customers.

I HATE trimming, clean-ups, digging holes, billing, hot days, rainy days, breakdowns, rude customers, and crappy-service-guys-at-the-dealer-making-my-life-complicated.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
I love the freedom, flexibilty, creativity, no boss, being outside, the physical work, the money, mowing, aerating, de-thatching, warm days, cool customers.

I HATE trimming, clean-ups, digging holes, billing, hot days, rainy days, breakdowns, rude customers, and crappy-service-guys-at-the-dealer-making-my-life-complicated.
I couldnt agree more! Add mean dogs who like to get in the way and people trying to steal your business but all in all I love it. I can also say that near the end of the seaon I get burnt out and just want to have some time for me. My issue is that im in college full time as well so the seasons conflict with that.

2001 F350 Crew Cab, 6x6, Lariat, 7.3 PSD Dually (power mods, lift, tires)

My F350 DRW Pics

2002 F450 7.3 PSD Landscape Dump
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
2009 Sure-Trac 22' HD Open Trailer
(3) 60" Exmark Lazer Z's
(1) 48" Exmark Hydro Walker
(1) 36" Scag Walker
(1) 16HP Lesco Leaf Vac
(1) 6.5HP EZ Trench Bed Edger
Echo: SRM-261's, PB-755's, SHC-212, SHC-265, HC-160, PPT-260, CS-346...