Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2000, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi all, this is why I love this site. I could never find an answer to this if it wasn't for this site. <br>Ok, could anyone that knows about hydroseeding explain to me how you do it and what equipment you need to do it. A golf course has called and wants a bid on hydroseeding wild flowers along the bank of there creek that runs through the course. There is 22,000 sq. ft. to do and if you could throw in a ballpark estimate that would be great. I do have a leg up because the manager of the course told me what another company bid. Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Old 03-16-2000, 07:54 PM
jakev

Buy a good mechanical / auger type like a finn. Spend the big bucks and don't go cheap with a jet type plastic system.<p>We charge 8 cents per square on smaller properties and as little as 4 or 5 on big properties. We have now a 1,500 gallon finn with a 75 horse diesel and it kicks ass.<p>We just shot a 80 acre complex 2 weeks ago and we made a killing at 6 cents a square ft. I bid high cuz I knew the property manager was to lazy to get more bids and they wanted it done.<p>With our Finn we can shoot wood mulch and mix a load in a few minutes. If you buy a small jet machine you be limited and can not mix as thick of slury.
Old 03-16-2000, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Jakev, thanks. Couple things, could you explain to me what a hydroseeder is? I believe it is similiar to an auger that just shoots out whatever you are seeding. I have also seen a couple of adds that show people shooting mulch of dirt out of a tube. Is this the same thing? Also, the bid on this from the other company is $1,100. According to your calculations 22K sq. ft. at 8 cents would be about $1,760. Is that $1,100 bid low or is this a type of job that you would bid less per sq. ft. on? Thanks for all your help! This isn't our main line of work.
Old 03-16-2000, 08:12 PM
jakev

check this out... http://www.turfquip.com/hydroseeding.html
Old 03-16-2000, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jake - We have a Finn T-90 on the way for mid April. That's when the seeding starts in CT. Could you give me an idea of what kind of additives and mulches you use. I was considering using just paper mulch for the Spring, switching to Paper/Wood for the Summer and Fall. How about Tackifier. <p>P.S. John Deere - I wouldn't approach that job like a lawn install. Wildflower seed is different than grass seed - a little costs a lot, but goes a long way. Usually you only need a few pounds per acre of a good mix, and expect to mix it with something like a hard fescue (at least where we are), in order to spread a reasonable volume of seed over that area. In other words, price the seed out, add the carrier seed so that you can spray 50# of seed over the area instead of 4 or 5#. Then add in the hydroseed materials/machine rental.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 03-16-2000, 08:25 PM
jakev

I don't use fertilizer in the slury cuz it will rust the tank. Yes, we use tack. and we use a paper/wood mix just about all year long. We seen in the dead of winter for contractors that need it seeded regardless if it grows or not.<p>Water, Mulch, tact, seed.
Old 03-16-2000, 09:10 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Wildflower seed is expensive, depending on the mix it can cost form $20 a lb to $500 a lb, check on your seed mix before you bid the job. there are two ways to do this type of project one just shoot the job like Phil told you, or find someone that has a seed drill that is made for wildflower seed(company in Minn) equipment is not cheap a small drill runs $14K but will give you near 100% germation, then hydromulchI use paper in summer but wood/paper in spring and fall with tackfier. There are alot of companys around here that don't use any mulch just the drill. If you know the man make sure that you don't have to do the burn on it in the spring because EPA is really getting down on this now. Just to me $1100 is pretty cheap for this job.<br>A hydoseeder is a large tank that holds and mixes water and mulch(wood,paper,or both)plus the seed. then the pump is actavated and the slurry is sprayed out to cover the area that need the seed. the mulch acts as a carrier and covering for the seed, holding water helping the seed germate. <p>----------<br>paul<br>