Register free!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Powerrake recommendations?

I am trying to figure out what to do about dethatching lawns this year. Last year i rented a power rake, but this year I want to buy one since I will be doing a lot more dethatching. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a power rake?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ryan Ren-O-Thin. I have one and it is a great machine. Its got a 5hp briggs engine on it and has seen a good amount of use and seems to be holding up quite well!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Ryans are fine if all you are doing is Dethatching...what they are meant for.

However around here, alot of people use them as clod busters...or light rototillers...LOL. The Ryan will not do that job.

If thats what you want to do, look into the Classen with the solid knife tines...I think they come on their Seeder model. Just take the seeder part off and go. The Flail blades wont hold up to this kind of work...well they will but not as long.

We have some customers that use the Bluebirds for this as well. We found they work better for this purpose if you only put in half the blades with spacers. But the classen is still the best I think.

Again if you are actually just going to be Dethatching then you can use any of these machines...The Ryan is probably the easiest one to remove the shaft from for maint...
Old 02-14-2007, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a Bluebird (I think that's what it is anyways). I haven't had any problems to date.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Beware, the solid knives used in a slicer type machine is NOT a powerrake. It will not pull up thatch, it will merely slice through it. Powerrakes use either a flail type blade that free swings or some have a spring tine type reel.

Prepare to hold on to your butt, if you are looking at new ones they run $1,200 to $1,400. Best thing is to find used, usually from rental places that like to have newer equipment on hand, they usually sell off the old stuff and it's perfectly good for a smaller LCO.

I have a Bluebird, I bought it new and got both the Delta (slicer) reel and the flail type powerrake reel, they interchange in 10 minutes or so. Bulletproof machine for sure. powerrake tends to always dump the thatch in large clumps instead of flowing out like it should. I have no idea why though, others Iv'e used don't do that...
Old 02-14-2007, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What time of year do you do your dethatching. If its in the spring before the grass gets growing good, you can use a power brush. I have an MB, its about 36" wide, with polly bristles. I works great for spring clean-up and does a good job of removing dead grass. My buddy has a Sweepster brand. York also makes one.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I do my dethatching in the spring just before the grass starts growing. I went to the local rental places and they want a lot for their old rental power rakes (almost as much as the new ones). So i will probably buy a new one. One rental places sells husquavarna and the other sells Ryan. I went and talked to them and I am waiting on prices for both.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For dethatching i use a honda fg100 with the dethatching tines and it works great for me
Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bluebird lawn comber with the honda engine very reliable machine. In 4 years of use besides regular maintenance i had to replace the drive belt.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Powerrake

If you are primarily doing 1/4 -1/4 acre lawns, a lesco power seeder is hard to beat for ease of use, durability and overall value. If you are doing bigger lawns, There are several 3 point hitch attachments such as befco, olathe, rota dairion etc which do a good job. Depends on size of your average job.