Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Pre-Em types and staining - liquid apps

I've been using Dimension for several years now (actually Lesco Lifeguard last year) and really like that it doesn't stain. I would never use Pendi on my residentials for fear of staining the walks and drives. However, I have been reading about the good residual of Prodiamine (Barricade and Stonewall) and am leaning towards it for my first round (I do liquid for R1-2). I've never used it but hear it is also yellow. Can anybody tell me how badly it stains? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Staining

Stonewall will not stain as bad as pend., I too like dimension, used stonewall last year - same control of crabgrass "good" , but your broadleaf weed control is not as long. That's just my opinion in the Dallas area.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are spraying Barricade, the only thing it stains is your tank and sight gauges. Once you stop running Barricade in your tank, the stain will dissipate.

Never had any issues with concrete or sidewalks. What you are spraying is diluted enough to avoid any serious staining.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses; Dawg, will you continue to use Stonewall or switch back to Dimension? Do you do split apps? I am on the border of transition + coastal = crabgrass capital of the world and want to minimize breakthrough.

Turf, it looks like you use Barricade instead of Stonewall. Any particular reason? I originally asked the staining question because encroachment usually starts on the edges and don't want any irate calls about yellow sidewalks. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stonewall is Lesco's generic version of Barricade. I have used only the generics in the past such as Regalkade by Regal Chemical. They are all the same IMO.

Saturating the edges with a direct spray is important, because if you are simply sweeping your gun left and right the edges will not be completely covered with your preemergent.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

---If you are in the crabgrass capitol of the world, I should think you would be better off using granular Barricade. It falls down to soil better and has less chance of being degraded by sunlight--which might happen if it dried on the leaf blade. Granular is cheaper because it is quicker--the labor is less.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
---If you are in the crabgrass capitol of the world, I should think you would be better off using granular Barricade. It falls down to soil better and has less chance of being degraded by sunlight--which might happen if it dried on the leaf blade. Granular is cheaper because it is quicker--the labor is less.
as long as you get some rain within a couple of weeks, sprayable barricade is by far your best option for crabgrass control. You are going to get much better coverage than with the granular, IMO.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdoctor1 View Post
as long as you get some rain within a couple of weeks, sprayable barricade is by far your best option for crabgrass control. You are going to get much better coverage than with the granular, IMO.
In my opinion the only reason people would use a dry pre-m is because they don't have a spray tank. As far as cheaper goes -you must be crazy- it is alot more expensive to use granular.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENITUP View Post
Thanks for the responses; Dawg, will you continue to use Stonewall or switch back to Dimension? Do you do split apps? I am on the border of transition + coastal = crabgrass capital of the world and want to minimize breakthrough.

Turf, it looks like you use Barricade instead of Stonewall. Any particular reason? I originally asked the staining question because encroachment usually starts on the edges and don't want any irate calls about yellow sidewalks. Thanks again.
I like it better, but that's just me. I do split apps at the beginning of the year, but I use simazine this round, next round dimension for crab grass- works well here- but sounds like you have more of a problem in that area.