Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM
GREENITUP GREENITUP is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SouthEast, VA.
Posts: 215
Pre-Em types and staining - liquid apps

I've been using Dimension for several years now (actually Lesco Lifeguard last year) and really like that it doesn't stain. I would never use Pendi on my residentials for fear of staining the walks and drives. However, I have been reading about the good residual of Prodiamine (Barricade and Stonewall) and am leaning towards it for my first round (I do liquid for R1-2). I've never used it but hear it is also yellow. Can anybody tell me how badly it stains? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 PM
LawnDawg65 LawnDawg65 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 92
Staining

Stonewall will not stain as bad as pend., I too like dimension, used stonewall last year - same control of crabgrass "good" , but your broadleaf weed control is not as long. That's just my opinion in the Dallas area.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM
ThreeWide ThreeWide is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Georgia Z7
Posts: 1,116
If you are spraying Barricade, the only thing it stains is your tank and sight gauges. Once you stop running Barricade in your tank, the stain will dissipate.

Never had any issues with concrete or sidewalks. What you are spraying is diluted enough to avoid any serious staining.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 AM
GREENITUP GREENITUP is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SouthEast, VA.
Posts: 215
Thanks for the responses; Dawg, will you continue to use Stonewall or switch back to Dimension? Do you do split apps? I am on the border of transition + coastal = crabgrass capital of the world and want to minimize breakthrough.

Turf, it looks like you use Barricade instead of Stonewall. Any particular reason? I originally asked the staining question because encroachment usually starts on the edges and don't want any irate calls about yellow sidewalks. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
ThreeWide ThreeWide is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Georgia Z7
Posts: 1,116
Stonewall is Lesco's generic version of Barricade. I have used only the generics in the past such as Regalkade by Regal Chemical. They are all the same IMO.

Saturating the edges with a direct spray is important, because if you are simply sweeping your gun left and right the edges will not be completely covered with your preemergent.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 AM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,433
---If you are in the crabgrass capitol of the world, I should think you would be better off using granular Barricade. It falls down to soil better and has less chance of being degraded by sunlight--which might happen if it dried on the leaf blade. Granular is cheaper because it is quicker--the labor is less.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Turfdoctor1's Avatar
Turfdoctor1 Turfdoctor1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Springdale, AR
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
---If you are in the crabgrass capitol of the world, I should think you would be better off using granular Barricade. It falls down to soil better and has less chance of being degraded by sunlight--which might happen if it dried on the leaf blade. Granular is cheaper because it is quicker--the labor is less.
as long as you get some rain within a couple of weeks, sprayable barricade is by far your best option for crabgrass control. You are going to get much better coverage than with the granular, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 AM
LawnDawg65 LawnDawg65 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 92
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdoctor1 View Post
as long as you get some rain within a couple of weeks, sprayable barricade is by far your best option for crabgrass control. You are going to get much better coverage than with the granular, IMO.
In my opinion the only reason people would use a dry pre-m is because they don't have a spray tank. As far as cheaper goes -you must be crazy- it is alot more expensive to use granular.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2007, 06:33 AM
LawnDawg65 LawnDawg65 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 92
Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENITUP View Post
Thanks for the responses; Dawg, will you continue to use Stonewall or switch back to Dimension? Do you do split apps? I am on the border of transition + coastal = crabgrass capital of the world and want to minimize breakthrough.

Turf, it looks like you use Barricade instead of Stonewall. Any particular reason? I originally asked the staining question because encroachment usually starts on the edges and don't want any irate calls about yellow sidewalks. Thanks again.
I like it better, but that's just me. I do split apps at the beginning of the year, but I use simazine this round, next round dimension for crab grass- works well here- but sounds like you have more of a problem in that area.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Page generated in 0.09538 seconds with 7 queries