Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker Question

I have a gentleman trying to sell me his walker it has 1300hrs on it for 3500 and I was wandering if that is a good deal or not? I am a little scared with the amount of hours on it and the local walker dealer says there good for 2000-3000 hours! I mow my own yard and 2 others and put no more than 70hrs on one in a year! Can someone help me out and give me some advise on what to look for on them that my cause me problems and would like anybodies opinion on it! It is a 42" GHS with Kohler 16hp v-twin full pressurized oil system! Please let me know what you guys would do or would I be better off getting a new dixon or something like that for the same money I am just not a Briggs fan so I would like to stay with kohler or kawasaki!

Thanks alot for your time
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Rufino's Landscaping

Sounds OK but look at the over all picture....Maintenance record....any leaks and tire wear, pulleys and so on....Remember those machines are good quality but if not taken care of can be a big headache because of the complication of the machine...Remember only buy something you really need not want..
Steve
Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

good advice from the above poster. I can tell you there are some around here with 500 to 1000 hours in the 4 to 6,000.00 range. They do hold their value well. If you are truely interested find a walker dealer and have them check it out good before you buy it. You may have to pay $100.00 or so but it will be money well spent if they find something big going out. If it checks out then offer him 2800.00 for it. They are GREAT mowers I can tell you that much! good luck
Old 02-07-2007, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufscape View Post
Sounds OK but look at the over all picture....Maintenance record....any leaks and tire wear, pulleys and so on....Remember those machines are good quality but if not taken care of can be a big headache because of the complication of the machine...Remember only buy something you really need not want..
Steve
thanks for the information I really apreciate it
Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf343 View Post
good advice from the above poster. I can tell you there are some around here with 500 to 1000 hours in the 4 to 6,000.00 range. They do hold their value well. If you are truely interested find a walker dealer and have them check it out good before you buy it. You may have to pay $100.00 or so but it will be money well spent if they find something big going out. If it checks out then offer him 2800.00 for it. They are GREAT mowers I can tell you that much! good luck
thanks for the input and information I really appreciate it
Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes MAINTENANCE. those kohlers will be trashed if not taken care of well. they are complex, but once you learn the little things that break, or wear, then it's all good...just like in any machine.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
yes MAINTENANCE. those kohlers will be trashed if not taken care of well. they are complex, but once you learn the little things that break, or wear, then it's all good...just like in any machine.
thanks for the info i really appreciate it
Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Be Careful With Walkers As Someone That Used To Carry Walker And Still Services Them You Want To Make Sure To Check The Oil If It Is Discolored Bad Then You Have To Think About Maybe Lookin In A Newer Direction Average Use Before Repairs On Walker(and Before Everyone Tries To Tell Me Otherwise This Is Average) Is About 1500 To 2000 Hours Depending On How Well It Was Maintained
SHINDAIWA-HUSTLER
KOHLER-BRIGGS
KAWASAKI-SNAPPER

CERTIFIED MASTER MECHANIC
IF IT HAS AN ENGINE I CAN FIX IT
Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTDUCK1984 View Post
Be Careful With Walkers As Someone That Used To Carry Walker And Still Services Them You Want To Make Sure To Check The Oil If It Is Discolored Bad Then You Have To Think About Maybe Lookin In A Newer Direction Average Use Before Repairs On Walker(and Before Everyone Tries To Tell Me Otherwise This Is Average) Is About 1500 To 2000 Hours Depending On How Well It Was Maintained
thanks for the information but was wandering if it is really black or what you meant by discolored? and if it was recently serviced how long does it take to get discolored bad?

But thanks again!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Depending If They Run With Dirty Air Filters Or It Has A Air Leak Which Causes It To Suck Dirt Which Kills The Life Of The Engine If They Had Serviced It A Month Ago And You Cant See Through It Clearly You Could Have Problems
SHINDAIWA-HUSTLER
KOHLER-BRIGGS
KAWASAKI-SNAPPER

CERTIFIED MASTER MECHANIC
IF IT HAS AN ENGINE I CAN FIX IT