Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-09-2001, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Coil problem - 17 hp Kawasaki

My dealer told me that I need a new coil. He doesn't have one. It is on order. The mower runs on only one cylinder for about 2 minutes at every lawn that I get to then the coil starts working and it runs fine till the next lawn. I was hoping he would sell me one off of a new unit, but I don't blame him for not.Am I hurting the engine if I let it run on only 1 cylinder for those 2 minutes or so??

Last edited by dfor; 07-09-2001 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

dfor,

That gas that isn't being ignited by your plug is going somewhere! Where do you suspect it's going? If I were to hazard a guess, it's blowing by your rings and going in your crankcase.

Couldn't you just let it idle on your trailer as you go from job to job? It sounds like when your coil is cooling off it creates the problem. Usually when a coil heats up is when it starts acting up.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My Onan's do the same thing when they drop a valve seat.As the seat heats up,it wedges into the block,then it runs fine,when its cold it 's loose and has no compression on that cylinder.I dont think it will hurt it running on one cylinder,the gas will go right out the exhaust,some will wash down the cylinder,but I seriously doubt this will effect the life of the engine.
Old 07-12-2001, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update:

It turns out that I didn't need a new coil after all. I called around everywhere to get one. Lesco was the only place that had one; The mechanic there said that coils very seldom die. All I had to do was sand the area where the coil meets the posts, reinstall and you'll be back with 2 cylinders firing. I wish my mechanic had known this. It still acts up here and there, I just take it off and put it back on and I'm going again.