Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2007, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

website and template help

I have a website i made for gaming but it is in php nuke. see it here www.saintsofwar.com
but i can not find any lawn or landscape templates in php nuke. I am not familiar with any other types of websites but php nuke. I found a free template off this site and am pretty sure i can tweak it to my likeing. Also have a little knowledge with photoshop.
I also have a host, it will be the same one i am useing for site above and will cost me about 80.00 a year. So my question is, how different is the templates from php nuke and where do i start?
I mean with php nuke, everything has to go in a specific place for it to work correctly, but the template comes in 1 package with no individual folders, do i just upload them all into a common place for them to work?

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Sponsor

there's just no easy answer for how to go about customizing a php nuke or nuke like (mambo.. etc) template. They can be complex.

I would just do a fresh install, get an FTP client, and be prepared to spend a lot of time in the template and include files. look at the images and code (because so much of it style sheet driven) and be prepared to spend some time on it.

if you launch a landscape site on a php nuke platform I would strip out a lot of the features. This is just a friendly IMOHO comment. I think nukie sites are great for gamers but they can be really confusing for people who don't have as much interent experience. I would keep things VERY simply.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Jeff, i have already decided not to go with php nuke because of the reasons you listed. Just not sure how to do any other type site. I am sure it is not easy as just loading the template to a common area on the ftp.
I am a fast learner when it comes to this i just have no experience with any other type of site besides php nuke.
I have no idea where to even start, suggestions would be helpful.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Sponsor

if you're installing and messing around with nukie-likes sites, and you know photoshop, it sounds like you enjoy doing this, have the time, and are a quick study. Installing those scripts is not that easy, there's a database behind it and the admin area take some acclimation - so I think you have more skills then you realized.

All the PHP Nuke sites are the same in their complexities. The people who develop them try to provide as much flexibility and useful tools as possible. This is all good but the downside is very complex code, tons of nested includes, etc. Rightfully so, they all separate coding from visual template, but you need to be a programmer in order to develop customized templates. Probably not the best use of your time. What I hate about them is all the time it takes to track down the right file to edit or figure out where in the database something is at. So I can't recommend any free download website scripts.

You sound like a good candidate for some of these inexpensive paid website tools like Yahoo Builder. They'll have online tools to use but you'll be comfortable with them. My advice is not to get too wrapped up on the site itself and to work more on the sites copy and images. That's what you'll ultimately benefit from.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

since making this post i have been messing around with 1 of the free templates i got from the gopher site. What i have managed to learn so far. I can create a generic page from one of the original pages. Also i have created a generic button in photoshop format. So i only need to change the text to create a new button. This gives me a blank page that i can create any or as many different pages i want. Simply by changing the pages title and link buttons to match.
I have figured out how to add and change all text on the web pages. Only programs i have used so far are Dreamweaver and photoshop. I never messed with Dreamweaver much but it seems easy enough to use. Of course i did not create my site from scratch but am learning.
After i get the basic site up useing the free template, i will attempt changing all the background and images to create a more personalized and custom site.
I was thinking about adding an estimate form for people to fill out and i could check out the job and get back to them. What are others thoughts on this. I quickly decided not to go with this because someone could just fill out forms and send me on wild goose chases.