Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

98 Dodge Ram Transmission

Hey,

I have 98 dodge ram with 172,000 KM's (106,000 miles) on it. How long can I really expect the transmission to last? I bought the truck at 140,000 km's and had the tranny oil changed then and I am having it done again at 178,000. What are the signs of a transmission going? It seems to drive fine still, I drive it pretty lightly however once I popped it in to park by accident when the engine was still revving (not moving). Kind of made me worry that I botched it but it seems to be fine. Is there anything else I can do to preserve the transmission? Also its the 5.9L 360.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 02-11-2007, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Signs of transmission failure will be:

1) Takes longer to shift into gear
2) Transmission slips between shifts
3) Transmission shifts harshly and irradically

These are just a few but when it does begin to fail, you will know what is happening.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There have been many reports of failed transmissions in the Dodges. Most happen alot earlier than 106K. If yours has lasted this long and if you take care of it, which you seem to do, I don't see why you wouldnt get another 100K out of it. I would have the filter changed and flushed on a machine every 15K miles. Have it done at the dealer. Most chain places use Dextron3 fluid with a friction modifier added. At the dealer, you will know for sure that ATF4 will go in.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it very important to have tranny oil changed?

I'm asking because I have a '92 sierra with 308k kilometres on it and when I asked them to change the tranny fluid (super lube) they couldn't access the pan. There is a bar that crosses over it going from side to side, attached to the frame of the truck. They thought if they took that bar off they might not be able to get it back on.

I bought the truck 2nd hand and it was a right-off fixed up by a professional mechanic in his back yard. So I don't know if he put that bar on or what.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a '97 w/a cummins. 160,000 miles on the auto. Change fluid and filter according to manual and you should be OK.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

My previous truck a 95 with Cummins, first transmission went south at 79k had it rebuilt at the local AAMCO and put another 125k on it with out a single problem. Previous owner pulled a fifth wheel and I don't know about his maint schedule. My 05 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins has 55k on it already, pulls a trailer daily and it has had regular maintenance and the tranny should last at least 200k.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep you RPMs up and do not drive in OD around town.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i have a 93 chevy and it has that bar- its easy to take off and put back on.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
i have a 93 chevy and it has that bar- its easy to take off and put back on.
Hey thanks for this response. Now I know its not some jerry-rigged thing, I guess that drive through Super Lube people aren't real confident in their mechanical ability and maybe not so experienced.

Think I'll take it to Canadian Tire and have some real mechanics change the tranny fluid and filter or whatever ever it is that is down there. I want to baby that truck I like it so much better than the newer Ford Ranger I bought. I love the room in a sierra, in the Ford I feel claustrophobic, I can barely grab the seat belt over my shoulder.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i know what you mean-i had a ranger before my silverado . the jiffy guys are being lazy and didnt want to take the time and effort to remove the cross bar. going some where else is a good idea.