Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2007, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

100% clueless about webdesign, can I do it?

Ive got Photoshop and Illustrator down, but I dont know the first thing about building a website. Can I make a really proffesional looking webpage with templates and if so are templates hard to use? What are templates? Any help would be great I would like to have this webpage online by april.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt spinniken View Post
Ive got Photoshop and Illustrator down, but I dont know the first thing about building a website. Can I make a really proffesional looking webpage with templates and if so are templates hard to use? What are templates? Any help would be great I would like to have this webpage online by april.
Can you afford a few hundred dollars if you don't do it yourself?

I have a feeling that you can do an okay site with free stuff online, but many people need to spend a few hundred if they want something really nice.

Personally, I don't think my own site is all that grand looking. Its just got a lot of info. But there is so much into it, I'm planning to keep it. But I'd love to be able to have a web designer modify a pre-made template for me someday. Custom sites are really cool, but there are so many very nice templates for a fraction of the cost. Any feedback I can offer, you can click my name for my last posts on website related replies. I have more than one idea about this stuff.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

building a web site is cheap if you do it yourself.
I used Go daddy to register my name $8.95 a year and the prime host was $29.00 a year for my host.

I didnt use a Illustrator or any fancy software.
I wrote mine in html it took a while but it worked and there were about 25-30 pages at the peak all link together.

I would suggest googling "web monkey" for source codes.
If you need help ask me?
Dolmar MS-260 C Trimmer
Dolmar MS-260 C
Echo SRM210 Trimmer
Echo PB210 Blower
Green Machine 4600LE
Mclane 801-3.5I/P Edger
Dolmar 5100s Chainsaw
Echo CS-520 Chainsaw
Echo CS-345 Chainsaw
Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Id like to design it myself and I am not looking to do it for free. I was assuming that good templates would cost money. Can a proffesional looking site be made through templates? Id like to spend under $500
Old 02-12-2007, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Microsoft Frontpage and it is easy. However, they don't sell it anymore. You may be able to buy a use copy. I'm not sure how difficult the new Web Expressions is to use but Frontpage is faily easy and there are still plenty of wenhosting companies that still offer Frontpage extentions for easy tranfer of your work to their servers.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

If you know photoshop and illustrator use the adobe product that is for web design. Its called golive. Pretty easy and if your good can make a very nice site.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So.........you can live with $500, and want to do your own.

In that case....

Search online for Dreamweaver 8. E-bay, other websites, etc.. The price varies, but I'll bet you can get it for $300, maybe less. And for another $100 you've got your domain name and webhosting fee covered.

But then you can do all your own editing.

Who knows, you may even want to see what the Dreamweaver & Flash combo costs.

But I'll say this - I find Flash a task to approach and figure out.

Dreamweaver was relatively moderate to do. It reminds me of dealing with MS Word in some regards. And Dreamweaver also works as an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program too.

I'm going to take a class for Flash sometime.

But if you can use all those other programs, you can handle Dreamweaver. It may take months to grasp advanced features, but so much of it can be used within a week.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 02-12-2007, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. I hadnt heard of golive and I just found that I already have it installed on my computer. I was looking at iweb but It seems unprofessional. Is golive going to be to complicated for me, i really have no webdesign experience, im willing to read a book if i need to. Any one have experience with golive?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

golive is part of the adobe creative suite, I figured you had it already because of the other programs you use. It is basically adobes version of a web design program (frontpage, dreamweaver, etc...) Check out the help section (there are tutorials). You can get a book if you want. It is pretty easy to set up a basic site and as you progress the more complicated functions aren't that hard either
Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcantrell View Post
If you know photoshop and illustrator use the adobe product that is for web design. Its called golive. Pretty easy and if your good can make a very nice site.
I got CS2 and am learning Golive but I don't find it easy at all. I also have the Total Training movies. I think I'm sutpid