Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2001, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to ask

Ok, so I'm not INC. yet. The problem is I don't know how to go about being incoporated. Can any of you guys point me in how to do it. I mean I'm getting to the point in "business size" "incopetant help" where I'd be more likely to get sued.
Old 07-10-2001, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just went to my business lawyer who took care of everything for me. Being pretty new I dont know if there is a better way of doing this or not but that was the most simple way I have heard of.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can either go to the local Barnes and Noble and get a book to walk you through the paperwork, or you can hire an attorney. I did the latter.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

you can use the computer to find

look under gov.

hit search

hit LLC

that is the one you want

Fictiscous name and LLC

will aprox. cost $75 for all if you do your self

I did it that way LGF
Old 07-15-2001, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

INK.

Contact your State Attorney General's office. They will assist you with the particulars, and the forms that you need to submit. In N.C., it costs about 225.00 to incorporate if you file yourself. Attorneys can charge as much as 1000.00 for the same paperwork.
Take care, Bill Craig
Old 07-15-2001, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This might seem abit off the wall, but you might want to have some discussion with your accountant too. Being incorporated has its advantages, however staying as a sole-prop has advantages too. And, if you're properly insured you can avoid just about any calamity that might come down the pipeline.

Too many people just jump into being incorporated without looking at all the angles first.

Just a thought.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To INC or not to INC???

Whether you are filing for corperation status or LLC or what ever, you want the advice of a lawyer and a CPA. My lawyer and I discussed going LLC and it was cheaper to do and less complicated. After talking with a CPA and determining the tax advantages of filing for S-corporation I changed my mind and it did cost me more up front but the tax benefits will be greater for several years to come...

Just my 2 cents....this do it yourself stuff is great for around the house honey dos but when it comes to Government and taxes I go with professionals just like my customers do with their lawn care

Chris
CP Mayhew, Inc.
Old 07-15-2001, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Inc.

I was a sole propriotorship for 13 years. Got Inc.ed 2 years ago. Got to big for my britches. Accountant suggested that I do it. Worked out better on taxes. Only sucking part is if the company makes money, YOU have to pay the taxes! Company does NOT pay taxes. At least you know that if you had to pay then you did something right and made some dough! Good luck
Old 07-16-2001, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm a sole prop. and have friends in this business who are incorporated and some who aren't, pros and cons to both. Whatever fits right for you is what's right. If you own a home definitely take out a Homestead on your home. It will protect the first 100,000 from a lawsuit and it costs practically nothing to set up.
Old 07-17-2001, 12:55 AM

LLC, INC, S-CORP, PARTNERSHIP, LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, ETC...

The best advice is talking to an attorney who deals with small businesses. Often times people think any attorney knows what is best. This is not true. In fact, I have come across attorneys who were so out of touch with business practice matters they literally guessed when asked questions. The most important step in this process is finding a competent attorney. Remember, they work for you, not the opposite. Grill them, find out what they know, ask for references...if your clients can ask for your references, why not you with an attorney. I'm not saying go Wall Street and run yourself out of business finding the best (or most expensive), just find one that knows what he/she is talking about, then do what they advise. The law is tricky and it changes so often that saving a buck or two now will come back to bite you in the future. Hope this helps.

Sean Adams
www.lawncaresuccess.com