Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Studio 8 / Dreamweaver 8 help please

Hello fellas, let me start by saying that I have NO experience making websites, using Studio 8 or Dreamweaver 8 for design. Lucky enough a friend is loaning them to me for a while to learn and build my own site. Anyway, I am looking for a good step by step book to help me through the process. I have bought the "Studio 8 book for Dummies" which touches on all the programs in Studio but it seems to assume you have some experience with making sites and programming. I consider myself computer literate and will not stop until I get a site up and running. I also don't want to bother my friend each time I have a question and actually want to do this on my own. Twisted Hugh!

Can anyone out there using Dreamweaver or Studio 8 recommend a book for an idiot.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Sponsor

have you taken the built-in tutorial? It's pretty nice and covers all the basics. The best place to start.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2007, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJeff View Post
have you taken the built-in tutorial? It's pretty nice and covers all the basics. The best place to start.

Jeff
What I have done is downloaded a free webtemplate to practice editing on and used the tutoral as I went. Eventually, when proficient, I plan on buying a complete flash webtemplate and editing it to fit my company, its only $63.00. Do you think this is a mistake?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Sponsor

There's no exact answer because these templates are designed by so many different people, so it's hard to give one comment that's true for all. But in general, I'm not a fan of the Flash templates unless you're a skilled Flash programmer for making changes. Or you don't mind hiring one.

Those templates are all very nice looking and they're designed by some really creative people. But the downside is that making changes to the flash template can be a real nightmare. Even just small changes. They become especially troublesome when adding to the menu. I don't mean changing the menu text but perhaps adding more links to the menu. So often the are very tightly designed with little room in the template to grow or add things. Other troubles come if you need to make changes to the template itself.

So I think they look nice and work if you're sure that you'll require very few changes and nothing that's outside of what the template can provide.

I think simple but attractive HTML template with perhaps a little bit of Flash animation embedded within it (if you want Flash), is a far better way to go. Simpler code, easier to change and update, better indexing in search engines.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2007, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The best part of the whole deal, is that you can replace the entire site later if you want, but even if you begin with a couple of tables and text links, you can have very easy site.

You start a blank slate, which is as easy as starting a new blank document in MS Word.

WATCH THIS, I'M GOING RIGHT OFF MY DREAMWEAVER PROGRAM RIGHT NOW.

1. I went to "File" in the menu and selected "New" then "Basic Page" then "Create".

2. It automatically made this much code (except the red X's)...

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body>
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
</body>
</html>

If you want to write text on your page, you can start in the code area, or on the workspace - you can see both at once. Either way, the text goes between those <body> & </body> tags.

If you want to center it, you can click, hold and highlight the text with your mouse, then just hit a BOLD button, just as easy as here. It automatically writes in the code.

If you want an image, you just go up to the menu, and select INSERT IMAGE. It will place it right where you want it. It will need an address, which you can rename later, or, it may be handy to have your page and files on a server to begin with.

If you want, feel free to start a help thread here and let the DreamWeaver Crowd help you walk through it. Maybe the person loaning you the program can help you get a bare-bones page on a server and a couple of file names to stuff your photos in.

Dreamweaver has an FTP programing to manage your website at the server too.

Once you get familiar with it, it may seem easier than you realized since Dreamweaver automatically writes so much for you.

A lot of point and click.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just to show you how easy it is... you saw that scrap of code that I just posted ??

Look at how much Dreamweaver wrote it for me. All I did, was go to the menu and select "Insert Table", picked 800 pixels for width and hit the OK button. Then I clicked on the table and wrote 600 pixels for it's width. I wrote "Make a Website" then highlighted it and selected Times font and size 12. ALL I DID, was type 3 words, 2 numbers and make 3 clicks. Look how much it did....

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<style type="text/css">
<!--
.style1 {
font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 16px;
}
-->
</style>
</head>

<body><table width="800" height="600" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td><div align="center" class="style1">Make a website</div></td>
</tr>
</table>

</body>
</html>

All the styles, quote marks, <td>'s, blah, blah, blah - it automatically generated all that code.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 02-15-2007, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mdvaden, can I PM or call you if I get stuck or have any questions? You seem to have the hang of this program.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, or as easy, post the question here - either way. If you don't see me for a day or two, feel free to email me from my site also.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Yes, or as easy, post the question here - either way. If you don't see me for a day or two, feel free to email me from my site also.
I am a firefighter on duty tomorrow and will need some time to get into the program and learn. Thanks for the e-mail offer. I will most likely e-mail you some time in the future with some dumb question.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One feature that I'm not too familiar with, since I haven't used it, petains to making new pages a template; like a set. It means that if you have 20 pages, and want to stuff a new logo in, you can have Dreamweaver make the new change to all 20 pages at once.

I never really set mine up that way, because many pages vary from one another. But I may try that some winter if I'm into a new look. Anyway, I'm sure its in the tutorial or help part of the program - probably just a few minutes of reading. That's if you even want to do it that way.