Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-14-2007, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

20,000 Plant

Today I went to a place and put a bid on a beutiful home and landscape. These people said they bought this plant that was 400 years old and paid almost 20,000 for it they also had a 100 year acer ( japanese Maple) on the property. They have hemlocks that they paid to have removed from high elevations and transplanted in there landscape. They hired someone to make a old growth cedar stump around there pump house. Is this something you would be proud to maintain or run for the fear or ruining it?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats my kind of job, but if you are asking that question you should probably flee .
Old 02-14-2007, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I couldn't tell from your post. Did you actually see the 400 year old plant in question? They weren't talking about a Bonsai were they? It almost sounds like it from your description. Also they use Japanese Maple for Bonsai as well.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Member

The japanese lace leaf maple was over 9 feet tall, and the 400 year old plant was about 8 feet tall it was some kind of dwarf hemlock
Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would be cautious, and had I been there to witness the estimate (or give it), I might be scared as well, but not for fear of ruining anything of theirs...

Because as a general rule I don't care much for giving an estimate and suddenly during the course of this the owners freely volunteer big money facts...
Like, you know, 'wow' stuff... BIG money.

This is usually called flaunting the money and the problem I have with it is that it tends to affect my estimate (because greed clouds the judgement). It is one of many tactics customers can use to try and get a better price (the idea behind it is to make you think you REALLY want this job so you'll give them a lower price).

If that's not what it was OR it was the only thing that come up then I probably would not mind. However, should a customer throw one or two more red flags like that my way, and I thank them for their time several mind cycles before it even begins to dawn on them that maybe I'm not as dumb as they thought (which, I would not bet that it may ever dawn on them).

The other thing I've done numerous times when someone flaunts the money, is to quote a super high price, which is by far the most amusing.
Put your money where your mouth is, I'm thinking.
If they can spend 20g on an ornamental plant, surely they won't mind spending a puny couple grand / year on a full maintenance plan, correct?
Strangely, rather than immediately scream YES because they found an ueber crazy Lco that's really going to take care of their impeccable yard, they instead get this headlighted deer look, yup, almost every single time...
Quote them the right price (this ought to be pretty difficult if they had a good chance to play their mind games, but it's possible), and the haggling begins...
Very strange, how fast that 20g evaporates.

Last edited by topsites; 02-14-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I took the safe route and said time and material bc of the scope of work it is
Old 02-15-2007, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
Thats my kind of job, but if you are asking that question you should probably flee .
Thats It.You need to know you can do it and do it right or just walk away
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com