Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Az Gardener Az Gardener is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 3,899
Is compitition good for an industry?

I was at a Franchising and Business Opportunity convention over last weekend. There were many companies all competing for investor $$ some in the same industry, food services, and others from many different industries. I was there to talk to new franchisors, that is people who had recently began to sell their business model as a franchise. It was a very educational few hours.

One thing I was somewhat surprised to hear is that competition is good. When one store has the whole market and another moves into the area the immediate response is fear. But the records will show that when a new business moves in it brings in more opportunity for all.

The new business advertises and now the people who possibly were not using a service decide it is time and they want another bid. For food services same store sales usually increase when other stores move in. Sounds backwards I know but thats what I was told.

So what say You?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-14-2007, 12:26 PM
rodfather's Avatar
rodfather rodfather is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Clinton, NJ
Posts: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
One thing I was somewhat surprised to hear is that competition is good.
I agree to the extent hopefully the competiton is as smart as you. I don't fear low ballers. The ones (competitors) I keep an eye out are the people who offer a high level of service at a competitive rate Dave.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
westwind's Avatar
westwind westwind is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Minnesota, Zone 4
Posts: 444
I also agree that competion is a good thing. The higher quality of service the better, it raises the bar if you will. I even enjoy sub-par services in my area as it makes us look better than we already are. There are customers that are price drives, then there are the customers that are quality driven. This is good for business.
__________________
http://www.superiorlawn.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Competition is good. It means there is a market first and foremost.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-14-2007, 12:38 PM
John Gamba's Avatar
John Gamba John Gamba is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: ct
Posts: 10,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
I was at a Franchising and Business Opportunity convention over last weekend. There were many companies all competing for investor $$ some in the same industry, food services, and others from many different industries. I was there to talk to new franchisors, that is people who had recently began to sell their business model as a franchise. It was a very educational few hours.

One thing I was somewhat surprised to hear is that competition is good. When one store has the whole market and another moves into the area the immediate response is fear. But the records will show that when a new business moves in it brings in more opportunity for all.

The new business advertises and now the people who possibly were not using a service decide it is time and they want another bid. For food services same store sales usually increase when other stores move in. Sounds backwards I know but thats what I was told.

So what say You?

Cheap competition is not good. when there are a lot of part timers and under bidders its not good at all.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Az Gardener Az Gardener is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 3,899
I guess I am just lucky in my market because I am somewhat insulated from the part timers and cheap bidders. They just are not competition.

I would think that most business would evolve and the mow and blow of the cheap homeowner would be like the entry point. Then from there a company would evolve into commercial maint, applications, or install work, lighting, Upper end residential, anything but where a part timer could be your competition.

I guess... come to think of it, it is Darwinism at work. If you don't evolve you perish.

I think competition is the same, it causes you to evolve, adapt, become better or at least keep up with the crowd or you perish.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Eakern & Dog's Avatar
Eakern & Dog Eakern & Dog is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: greater Atlanta
Posts: 433
Quote:
One thing I was somewhat surprised to hear is that competition is good. When one store has the whole market and another moves into the area the immediate response is fear. But the records will show that when a new business moves in it brings in more opportunity for all.
I read about this as well in a book about "Owning Your Own Coffee House". The theory mentioned was that competitors that sold " higher end coffee" helped to generate more public interest in your product and created more customers for the industry.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2007, 02:10 PM
John Gamba's Avatar
John Gamba John Gamba is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: ct
Posts: 10,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
I guess I am just lucky in my market because I am somewhat insulated from the part timers and cheap bidders. They just are not competition.

I would think that most business would evolve and the mow and blow of the cheap homeowner would be like the entry point. Then from there a company would evolve into commercial maint, applications, or install work, lighting, Upper end residential, anything but where a part timer could be your competition.

I guess... come to think of it, it is Darwinism at work. If you don't evolve you perish.

I think competition is the same, it causes you to evolve, adapt, become better or at least keep up with the crowd or you perish.

Here every aspect is being hit by the under-bider. Commercial accounts to the grandmother lawn. there is no hiding from it. I just witnessed a bidding war for basin construction. there is no way there going to make money on there bid. if the low-baller was not there, the other company's would make there pay and then sum.

Low-ballers are trying to make a pay check like a wage earner? not like someone who needs to pay all the bills plus.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-2007, 02:27 PM
John Gamba's Avatar
John Gamba John Gamba is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: ct
Posts: 10,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eakern & Dog View Post
I read about this as well in a book about "Owning Your Own Coffee House". The theory mentioned was that competitors that sold " higher end coffee" helped to generate more public interest in your product and created more customers for the industry.


How many people in the house drank coffee 3 or 4? there's only one house to cut, not 3 to 4 like in the house.

We are not in the business"unfortunately" that has a addicting product.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Ecoscape01's Avatar
Ecoscape01 Ecoscape01 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: West Chester, Pa
Posts: 375
In my business class this semester I learned about how when a Starbucks moves into an area to compete with a local coffee shop, the sales for both Starbucks and the local shop go up due to an increase in consumer interest just like Eakern & Dog said
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.10413 seconds with 7 queries