Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 AM
horizonmowing horizonmowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: fairfax, virginia
Posts: 81
Mulching with bags

I work in Northern Va. I would love to mulch by the bag (cleaner, easier and faster) but it is so expensive. Does anyone know where I can find bulk mulch by the bag?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
gammon landscaping gammon landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: east tennessee
Posts: 551
well try a landscape yard
if you do the math on labor vs the added cost you might be supprised
find two jobs about the same size and scope try each way
i always thought that the baggs cost to much but there almost no clean up no wheel barrows and so fast it is unreal

my and 2 guys can put down 10 yards a day with bulk the same 10 yards in baggs can be done in 4-5 hours , plus u can haul bagged mulch on my big flatbed trailer and only make one trip
__________________
236 cat slip and slid
245 massy tractor
99 250 power strock ford
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Robert S Robert S is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 97
lowes,wamart has it
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2007, 11:09 PM
horizonmowing horizonmowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: fairfax, virginia
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammon landscaping View Post
well try a landscape yard
if you do the math on labor vs the added cost you might be supprised
find two jobs about the same size and scope try each way
i always thought that the baggs cost to much but there almost no clean up no wheel barrows and so fast it is unreal

my and 2 guys can put down 10 yards a day with bulk the same 10 yards in baggs can be done in 4-5 hours , plus u can haul bagged mulch on my big flatbed trailer and only make one trip
yeah, it is much faster and cleaner but still alot of $$$$. I prob could get a tractor-trailer load and that would bring the price down near what bulk would be but its alot of bags to have around the house
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Jeds_Lawn_Care's Avatar
Jeds_Lawn_Care Jeds_Lawn_Care is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 304
you can get it @ lowes for approx. $4/3 cu ft bag. $36/yd......Dang that is high.
__________________
Jed's Lawn Service
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
horizonmowing horizonmowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: fairfax, virginia
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds_Lawn_Care View Post
you can get it @ lowes for approx. $4/3 cu ft bag. $36/yd......Dang that is high.
yes, that is WAY to much $$$$
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Accu-cut Lawn Care's Avatar
Accu-cut Lawn Care Accu-cut Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizonmowing View Post
I work in Northern Va. I would love to mulch by the bag (cleaner, easier and faster) but it is so expensive. Does anyone know where I can find bulk mulch by the bag?
While working for the City of Chattanooga, I mulched mass areas with bag mulch. et me tell you this from experience. It is not faster,easier or cleaner to do bag mulch if you have a trailer that is set up correctly. A 6.5 by 12 tandem axle trailer with 2 foot sidewalls is excellent to haul up to 8 yds of bulk mulch. Get your self a two wheeled 10 cubic foot wheelbarrel. Heaping, you can haul a half of a yard at a time. With a good size 12 plastic scoop from Lowes, you can shovel 2 cubic feet per time. work from the back of trailer up to the front. If you can move bag mulch faster than this setup; you are doing something wrong
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
EgansCountryGardens EgansCountryGardens is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 154
this is an interesting thread. I was just talking to one of my buddies down in north carolina. He is the sales manager for a large landscape outfit down there. He used to work for a company up here in Mass. where we always use mulch bulk for installs.
Well, he calls me the other day, and tells me at this big co. down in NC, all they use is bags. He says it's faster, cleaner, and whatever is left goes back into stock at the shop.
Well I own a garden center and landscape contractor here in MA. I know that if I buy a flatbed trailer load of bagged mulch 3 cu. ft bags. I can get it for about 2.50 a bag. That's only 22.50 per yard. There are about 60 bags on a pallet which can be loaded into the back of a pickup. How else can you fit over 6 yds. in a pickup? The pallet is shrunk wrapped and it stands tall in the bed, but it is easily doable.
I'm gonna try it this year for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Accu-cut Lawn Care's Avatar
Accu-cut Lawn Care Accu-cut Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,206
The only time it's profitable to do bag mulch is when the customer demands it...and pays extra. Red mulch is 3.50 or more per 2 cubic foot bag. That's more than 45 per yard. I pay 12 per yard at a mulch wholesaler for bulk red mulch. Me and one helper have no problem spreading 8 yds in 2 hours...even less if the area is wide open. And, there are no bags to pick up. That's comparable to about 110 2 cubic foot bags. Do the math.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2007, 07:30 PM
horizonmowing horizonmowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: fairfax, virginia
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu-cut Lawn Care View Post
The only time it's profitable to do bag mulch is when the customer demands it...and pays extra. Red mulch is 3.50 or more per 2 cubic foot bag. That's more than 45 per yard. I pay 12 per yard at a mulch wholesaler for bulk red mulch. Me and one helper have no problem spreading 8 yds in 2 hours...even less if the area is wide open. And, there are no bags to pick up. That's comparable to about 110 2 cubic foot bags. Do the math.
If the mulch is not bought at a wholesale price when using bags, then it will surly cut into your profits, but if i can get it by the bag for nearly the same as bulk mulch, i still say its a better way to do things. For those of you who mulch, try it both ways this year and ill resurrect this thread in a month or two and well get everyones opinions.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.09803 seconds with 7 queries