Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Mulching with bags

I work in Northern Va. I would love to mulch by the bag (cleaner, easier and faster) but it is so expensive. Does anyone know where I can find bulk mulch by the bag?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well try a landscape yard
if you do the math on labor vs the added cost you might be supprised
find two jobs about the same size and scope try each way
i always thought that the baggs cost to much but there almost no clean up no wheel barrows and so fast it is unreal

my and 2 guys can put down 10 yards a day with bulk the same 10 yards in baggs can be done in 4-5 hours , plus u can haul bagged mulch on my big flatbed trailer and only make one trip
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

lowes,wamart has it
Old 02-16-2007, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammon landscaping View Post
well try a landscape yard
if you do the math on labor vs the added cost you might be supprised
find two jobs about the same size and scope try each way
i always thought that the baggs cost to much but there almost no clean up no wheel barrows and so fast it is unreal

my and 2 guys can put down 10 yards a day with bulk the same 10 yards in baggs can be done in 4-5 hours , plus u can haul bagged mulch on my big flatbed trailer and only make one trip
yeah, it is much faster and cleaner but still alot of $$$$. I prob could get a tractor-trailer load and that would bring the price down near what bulk would be but its alot of bags to have around the house
Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can get it @ lowes for approx. $4/3 cu ft bag. $36/yd......Dang that is high.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds_Lawn_Care View Post
you can get it @ lowes for approx. $4/3 cu ft bag. $36/yd......Dang that is high.
yes, that is WAY to much $$$$
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizonmowing View Post
I work in Northern Va. I would love to mulch by the bag (cleaner, easier and faster) but it is so expensive. Does anyone know where I can find bulk mulch by the bag?
While working for the City of Chattanooga, I mulched mass areas with bag mulch. et me tell you this from experience. It is not faster,easier or cleaner to do bag mulch if you have a trailer that is set up correctly. A 6.5 by 12 tandem axle trailer with 2 foot sidewalls is excellent to haul up to 8 yds of bulk mulch. Get your self a two wheeled 10 cubic foot wheelbarrel. Heaping, you can haul a half of a yard at a time. With a good size 12 plastic scoop from Lowes, you can shovel 2 cubic feet per time. work from the back of trailer up to the front. If you can move bag mulch faster than this setup; you are doing something wrong
Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

this is an interesting thread. I was just talking to one of my buddies down in north carolina. He is the sales manager for a large landscape outfit down there. He used to work for a company up here in Mass. where we always use mulch bulk for installs.
Well, he calls me the other day, and tells me at this big co. down in NC, all they use is bags. He says it's faster, cleaner, and whatever is left goes back into stock at the shop.
Well I own a garden center and landscape contractor here in MA. I know that if I buy a flatbed trailer load of bagged mulch 3 cu. ft bags. I can get it for about 2.50 a bag. That's only 22.50 per yard. There are about 60 bags on a pallet which can be loaded into the back of a pickup. How else can you fit over 6 yds. in a pickup? The pallet is shrunk wrapped and it stands tall in the bed, but it is easily doable.
I'm gonna try it this year for sure.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time it's profitable to do bag mulch is when the customer demands it...and pays extra. Red mulch is 3.50 or more per 2 cubic foot bag. That's more than 45 per yard. I pay 12 per yard at a mulch wholesaler for bulk red mulch. Me and one helper have no problem spreading 8 yds in 2 hours...even less if the area is wide open. And, there are no bags to pick up. That's comparable to about 110 2 cubic foot bags. Do the math.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu-cut Lawn Care View Post
The only time it's profitable to do bag mulch is when the customer demands it...and pays extra. Red mulch is 3.50 or more per 2 cubic foot bag. That's more than 45 per yard. I pay 12 per yard at a mulch wholesaler for bulk red mulch. Me and one helper have no problem spreading 8 yds in 2 hours...even less if the area is wide open. And, there are no bags to pick up. That's comparable to about 110 2 cubic foot bags. Do the math.
If the mulch is not bought at a wholesale price when using bags, then it will surly cut into your profits, but if i can get it by the bag for nearly the same as bulk mulch, i still say its a better way to do things. For those of you who mulch, try it both ways this year and ill resurrect this thread in a month or two and well get everyones opinions.