Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2007, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Changing tires on Wright Stander

I have found a tires for my 52" Stander at half the cost my dealer was charging me. How do I change these? Should I drop them off at a car tire place? Purchase a portable machine? your thoughts?/?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get 2 decent size flat head screw drivers, take all the air out, Take one driver and try to pry an area of the tire up over the lip of the rim, take the other screw driver and do the same thing about 4 inches away and do this all the way around the tire.
Instal is pretty much the same way but your trying to put the tire under the lip of rim.
Fairly easy being your first time might take you 10-15 minutes each but its free.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What brand are the tires? Just a warning...not all tires of the same size are necessarily equal.

I did not have a tire for a customer one day, so he bought one elsewhere...brought it back and had me change it. Well then he brought the whole mower in because the new tire was a different brand and now the machine was running sideways...LOL

Both tires said 20x10-8 or whatever they are. One was a Carlisle, the new replacement was a Kenda. The old Carlisle that was well worn was still probably 2" larger in diameter than the Kenda with both tires inflated to the same pressure. I dunno what it was...maybe a mislabeled tire? I doubt it...We stick mainly to Carlisle tires if we can...

If you are replacing them as a set you should be fine, but you may wanna put them next to each other before you swap. If the tires are shorter it could through off your cut or you may have to play with all your height settings to get the deck level again.

Anyone else run into this with Kenda vs Carlisle or other brands?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good advice pugs. To add to that, make sure you check your level stance after changing them to make sure you are at the proper height.

For tire changing, I bought a changer @ Harbor Freight for $40 & it is so easy I wish I'd bought it years ago.

If you don't want to go that route, any small tire shop should be able to do it for around $10.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you got a Discount Tire store start doing business with them....they can get any tire brand for mowers that you need. They can match exact tire. And they will fix flats if you need that type of service. I usually get my tires in about a week so I plan ahead and have a spare and when I need it they slap it on. I do a lot of my own maintenance but gave up on changing tires.....it can take a lot of time sometimes.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, always keep your tires that are the same size, the same BRAND. They do vary in size some even though they may be marked the same.

To replace the tires yourself, Large screwdrivers do work ok, but also get 2 pairs of vice grip pliers to clip on the edge of the rim as uou get the bead over the rim. these will help preserve some of your sanity! the smaller the tire, the harder they are to mount usually. Use some liquid dish soap for lube on the bead to get them to slip on and seat easier. Have it cool in your shop, because you are about to get VERY hot! Last set of tires I did it was about 50 degrees out, and by the time I was done I was soaking wet with sweat... Not to mention the neghibors got a lesson on cuss words. I'd take them to a shop, but hey, I can say I mounted them myslef! look at the pride in that! lol!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lawnmower tire changing sucks
Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have a link the a good tire changer I can buy?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Manual tire changer

I bought mine from Eagle equipment and supplies. www.eagleeequip.com.
It works pretty good after you change 4 or 5 tires and get the hang of using the changer. Use a lot of bead penitrator lube or soapy water to make it easier.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Harbor Freight - online (59.99) or in the store(?)