Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Weeds in Bermuda Lawn

Hi Im from north east georgia. Im not into the lawn business, just a resident trying to take care of the lawn. I have a bermuda lawn. A couple weeks ago a lawn-contractor rung my doorbell and tried to sell me a lawnservice and the guy was telling me that I had weeds and the best time to get rid of them was right now before spring while the bermuda is dormant. So I bought a sprayer-tank and a bottle of concentrate weed b gon max(mix w/1gal water) and sprayed the obvious clover weeds along with the broad leaf weeds.

My question is this: After spraying the obvious weeds I took a closer look at the lawn and in general noticed that some spots of the lawn are green while the others are pretty much dead for the season. I have some pics and wanted to know are these green spots weeds also or grass that never went dormant? ty in advance.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_2424.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_2426.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_2435.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_2425.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_2428.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_2438.jpg

if you need more pics please ask so I can take more. ty for any response
Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Chances are that all of your warm season turf grass is dormant by now if you have similar winters to us in Dallas anyway. Bermuda usually is not active in the winter months, it is a warm season grass. You may have some cool season grasses growing, like rye, giving you green along with your weeds.
Rather than trying to spray the weeds that are growing now, these are the ones that will die out in the heat of the upcoming season, why not try to improve the soil so the desirable grass will be thicker and healthier, covering more bare soil and helping to crowd out the weeds?
Think of it like a food chain, the healthier the soil, the more chance of growing what you want not what will just grow anywhere - i.e. weeds.

Now you are approaching a good time use corn gluten meal which, like most synthetic pre emergents, needs ideal conditions to really be effective. But, when the weather starts to break, that soil will start to warm up enough to give the weed seeds the signal to begin germination. If the CGM is in the soil at the same time with a bit of moisture, the process of growing roots is interrupted. These are the summer weeds - not those growing now. Those growing now should fry in the hot sun - hot being relative, 70's and direct hot sun can kill out clover.

Also, the CGM has a good amount of nitrogen in it so it can act as a "weed n feed" of sorts - but I always recommend a follow up round of a balanced natural fertilizer again in about 4-6 weeks to really give the microbes a balanced meal, not just nitrogen. Especially if you have a poor soil. Then, in the early part of summer, or late spring, depending on your seasons, early June?, go ahead and put another round of these 2 products out this year. Follow up and do the same in the fall, before the cold rains start. See if your yard doesn't look better - the soil will be being improved every time you add either of these two things to it, so it should begin to improve the health of the grasses - if you have to spot spray for weeds, try using a 20% vinegar or 10% pickling vinegar with orange oil and dish soap added(the latter helps it stick to the leaves) Be careful not to spray desirable plants. It dehydrates the leaves, and, can be effective to kill out weeds - sunny warm to hot days works best.

Try to stay away from the weed be gones - they will damage your trees and other woody stemmed plants in the long, and sometimes, in the short run. My friend's husband darn near killed an old oak tree in their yard using that stuff to kill the weeds in the lawn.

Next spring, you may opt to do both, but in the summer, just apply the fertilizer. The fall, decide how well the yard is responding and let the soil tell you - did you still of lots of weeds the last spring? If so, CGM wouldn't hurt.

On average, a bag of either will run between $20-$30 and should cover about 2000 sq. ft. As your soil improves, you can back off either the frequency, or the rates. That is how organics becomes less expensive over time. Continue to return the grass clippings to the lawn, except when excessive weed seed heads are present, and you'll be fertilizing every time you mow.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

ty for the response. I was wondering where I could get cgm from?? Lowes, home depot doesnt seem to have it atleast according to there websites.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you have any organic nurseries in your area? Independent ones are most likely source. Feed stores may carry, but make sure it isn't feed. There are more than one kind, to make it more confusing for you. Bradfield's is a brand name of it that comes granulated and coated with molasses to aid in the effecacy. It helps the pellets to melt with moisture forming a type of barrier over the soil with the cgm.

If push comes to shove, I can ship it - it is a 40# bag. Like sending a bag of dog food, the shipping may be a bit, though.

Best case scenario is to really beef your soil up with the organic fertilizers. Just keep it mowed in the spring when the weeds are active - before they go to seed - and if they do go to seed before you get a chance to mow, bag your clippings and compost them.

Hope all that helps. M
Old 02-24-2007, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

well so far I have looked around and only 1 place within 2 hours of me here has it, but its like not fine granulated. Its like half and half. Not 100% granulated and not 100% in that powder form if you know what I mean. Would that be ok to run through a spreader? Or should I keep looking
Old 02-24-2007, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman2k7 View Post
well so far I have looked around and only 1 place within 2 hours of me here has it, but its like not fine granulated. Its like half and half. Not 100% granulated and not 100% in that powder form if you know what I mean. Would that be ok to run through a spreader? Or should I keep looking
You can use that, just don't do it on a windy day.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

ty for the reply. I was doing some research just now and I just got a lil confused lol. The price at this shop here for a 50lb bag is 8 dollars. Now I just did some research and every online site ive seen has gcm for $31/50lb or $42/50lb or more, all before shipping and handling are added on. So At 8 dollars for a 50lb bag does that sound right? Should the cgm have a certain amount of certain ingredients? ty

Last edited by redman2k7; 02-24-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

CGM that has a label on it for use on turf will always cost more. In order for a company to label it for turf, they must pay a royalty to Iowa state. I've seen posts from guys that buy the stuff from feed stores for $4 a bag. Will it work as well?, some people say otherwise, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Results from CGM are marginal as a pre-emergence with one application, anyone will tell you that. As you use it more it works better. My opinion would be to first make sure you have a dense turf(seed any bare or thin spots). Then use the cheaper stuff spring and again in the fall, follow good cultural practices mowing higher, proper watering, ect..