Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-12-2001, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I need to bag and haul I have double gates on the trailer.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2001, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you have to bag then use one mower to do it. We sometimes find it easier and faster on certain properties to just pull out the bagger mower. We always run one of the Choppers over it first to actually make the cut and then do a quick run with the Trac-Vac to pick up some of the clippings. It works great and at the most we have 1 bucket to dump, usually less than that. I don't haul the clippings off except at 2 places IF we need to bag them. The rest of the places I dump it on site. If your running 2 mowers and bagging everything then I would think that there is a tremendous amount of clippings to deal with. You could reduce it by 1/2 just by vacumming remnants vs. actually cutting and collecting.

In the fall this is generally the way we do our leaf cleanups too, one mower mulching and the Trac-Vac collecting. Really makes the job quick. The only extra time is in the backpack work.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Mow Ed,
That is a SWEET set up.
How does your ramp deal with your trailer jack?
Is it one of those fold-up types?

Roger
Old 07-13-2001, 01:30 AM
Banned

i find that sometimes bagging is faster, however it depends on what kind of machine you are using. because i remember last year when we got all that rain. just me cut 1 lawn, without trimming, in the time it took 4 guys from a local lawn company to cut, trim and blow the next door house. because they had to double cut and blow. that was at an every other week basis. if you bag there is not that much blowing left or trimming in some cases.
as for putting clippings on a tarp and lifting them. i have one thing to say. i cut a lawn every week where the clippings must be removed. the lawn is about 20M sq. ft. i remove a lot of times, about a yard to a yard and a half of clippings. so that is a lot of weight to lift on a tarp, even with 2 people.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hd the same problem (getting grass into the truck) My brother invented and built a unit that fits in the bed of my truck that has sides that lower and lift and then the whole unit turns into a dump bed at the end of the day. It has saved countless hours and tons of backaches!
Old 07-13-2001, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RMDoyon,
Thanks for the compliment. Yes the jack is a fold up model. It holds the tounge weight just fine. It doesn't have a wheel. That picture was taken in the spring before I started up this year. I usually put a tarp in the bed and it doubles as a cover for the load. When I get to the dump I can pull a very large load of grass or leaves or thatch out by pulling the tarp out using my weight on the bumper.
It would be nice if I had a dump box but then I would start to get fatter.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i side discharge 100% of the time. i just got a lazer this year so i may get an ultra vac for spring and fall cleanups, but i rarely need to double cut and all my lawns look fine w/o complaints.
Old 07-15-2001, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Member

i have seen john deere mid zeros with jd's 17 bus hydro dump lift high enough to reach dump truck talk to your dealer.
Old 07-15-2001, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can always do what I do. Have one mower as dedicated mulcher and one as a bagger. If you get cluster%$^&^* with rain then you arent in too bad a shape. If the grass doesnt grow to much you can then have one machine side discharge and the other mulch. Basically you have a lot of options this way.
Old 07-15-2001, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the Non-Baggers

Bagging and disposing of grass clippings are services that I don't offer. It's unnecessary, makes no sense, unprofitable, and a waste of time and equipment.

Was I too opinionated on this one? LOL
There are no stupid questions... they're just the easiest to answer.