Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2007, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mod's how do you do your job.

I was just wondering, do the moderators have to read each post or is there some software that alerts you to key words or phrases to check things.

Seems like a very big job to read all the threads. Just wondered how it all works behind the screens of lawnsite.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Read each post and respond to member reported post/threads--" !" --top right hand corner to report a post
Old 02-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

I will only speak for myself here, not sure about how the other mods check things out. This explanation may be more than you asked for, but it's what I do when I hop on Lawnsite.

i check my email to go thru the new user sign ups, and look to see if anyone has reported a post that they feel is out of line.

I then log on to Lawnsite, and head to this section first (support and announcement forum), where I check to see if any member needs any help. Then I go to the off topic, where I quickly scan the new threads. Then i go to the commercial forums, where I will start to relocate threads that may get more responses if moved into another forum. ex: a thread about a mower repair will get moved to the mechanic section as we have some really helpful members onboard that are great with helping with repairs.

After relocating what I feel needs to be moved, I quickly scan the new threads, basically just scanning things. If I see a thread that is "hot", meaning more than a couple of pages long, I will take a look at it, to make sure there is not an argument going on, or look to make sure members aren't throwing personal insults at each other.
The idea behind all of this is to keep the forum "user friendly" where all members will feel welcome and comfortable posting, and where no member feels bullied for asking a "dumb" question. There are no dumb questions.

Profanity words are automatically censored out, but if I see someone trying to get around the censor, as an example trying to type out the f word, I will asterick it out.
Also to make it fair to the great sponsors of this site, any unsponsored blatent advertising will be removed, and the member will be given sponsorship details ,and given the choice if they would like to become a sponsor too.

Then there is spam, all of us try our best to remove the spam as quickly as possible, and quickly remove the spam member from the forum.

Unfortunately, I can not read each and every individual post, but I try to scan as many of them as time permits.

As with anything, I've come to realize that not everyone is going to be pleased if their post gets moved or edited. I've been on a lot of non green industry forums, where you can't even say boo or question ANYTHING a moderator does. This forum is very lenient about things, more so than a lot of forums.

Also if I am unsure of something, I will ask the other mods "thoughts on this?", to see if the thread or post should have been removed if that's the case.

Off the subject a little, but I was on a very large forum, (40,000+ members), not industry related, where the moderators actually gave out infractions they called them, to members that used poor grammer. ex: if you would type b4, instead of before, you got an infraction. After a few infractions, your account was then suspended. I could never see something like that working here.

And being that this site is comprised of probably 99% men, I find that being a woman makes moderating just a little more difficult for me. Some guys tend to think they can give me a hard time or hope that I will crack, or they will talk about me behind my back, maybe because I'm a woman??. I just take it in stride, and for the most part, I think we have a really good group here with a lot of helpful folks. I don't think any of us can walk away from here and say we haven't learned something from Lawnsite.
And if there is a problem, anyone can feel free to pm me to discuss it.
Lawnsite is here for all to enjoy, and I always keep that in mind when moderating.
Sorry for rambling on and on.....
Old 02-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Ya, a better way I should have said it---- if you put all us LS mods together, we probably read just about every post.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ya, a better way to say it is if you put all us LS mods together, we probably read just about every post.
HA HA Charles, short and sweet.. now why didn't I just say that? LOL
Women can be so longwinded.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:37 PM

ooops (I edited that) lol. Better way I should have stated my post. Didn't mean you were being long winded lol

Last edited by Charles; 02-17-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can I ask a question here? Just out of curiosity. Is it safe to say that you get alot less riff-raff and rig-a-moreau (sp) in the other professional forums - such as the landscaping, hatrdscaping, irrigation, lighting, ponds, and such? I mean, granted, you don't get the flow of all the people like you do of all the grass cutters, and of course the newbie forum, you are always going to get some new stuff in there,...and the off topic forum goes without saying. But I mean for the amount of people you have going into the other forums, is the conflict a bit less per population than in the mowing, and newbie forums?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, you are correct Joe. Irrigation, mechanic repair, hardscaping, etc etc etc, all have none or very little disturbances.