Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2007, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeMember View Post
I read about one company successful doing gutter cleaning and holiday lights.

I though about a couple things and believe junk removal would be a worthwhile venture. My landscape/hardscape company does well, but always looking to make more.

I have dump and stake body trucks sitting some days and want to maximize their use. I did a search on this site, but it did not yield much information on junk removal.

Does anyone do this on the side or full time? How much can you make realistically? I have my overhead, but it rolls to the landscaping books, so any junking hauling would be profit minus the employee labor and dump fees. I keep reading how this is a "new" booming business. There are a couple franchises, but do not want to make that investment at this time. I am going to see how well I can do it on my own.

How would I go about advertising? Anyone have proven methods? I can make a double sided flyer with landscaping, but want to keep it separate. I was thinking of opening up a new division under the corp. with a different phone number. I believe customers like a company that specializes in one thing. They might not want to see landscapers, doing junk hauling. That is just my opinion. I will keep both companies separate.

Any information on successes, failures, advertising methods and overall thoughts, I would appreciate it.
I STARTED OUT DO CLEAN-UPS & CLEAN-OUTS. BUT THAT IS VERY SPORADIC . NOT STEADY INCOME SO I STARTED SCRAPPING ALSO WHICH HELPS FILL THE GAPS . BUT NOT NEARLY STEADY ENOUGH SO THIS YEAR I AM STARTING COMMERCIAL LAWN MAINTENANCE AND WINDOW CLEANING. I HAVE 4 ACCOUNTS ALREADY THAT WILL GROSS$200,000 IF YOU COMBINE THE TWO IN THE CORP THE INSURANCE WOULD BE ON ONE POLICY WHICH I HAVE CLASSIFIED UNDER HANDYMAN
Old 02-25-2007, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeMember View Post
Thank you for the responses...

Daveintoledo... I was thinking about adding pools services, but our market is flooded with businesses that offer this service. I will look into to it.

Prostriper... you mentioned 48 businesses; I wrote a list and came up with about 20. It was late, I am sure I can think of more. Would you like to share your list? This board may help add to it.

NMS0219... That is a good idea to drop off the truck, let the customer load and haul it away. Dump prices are high in NJ. I pay $60 a ton to dump, this is mixed debris. They have extra charges for tires, stoves, etc. I only have one place to dump and is less then 20 miles way. I was thinking of doing it for the customer and making extra money. We have a local company that charges $425 to fill the truck and haul it away. He has a $100 minimum stop and that includes 1/8 of his truck space. I hear he is busy 4-5 days a week.

Lushgreenlawn... Have you started advertising yet?

Dirtdigger2... what is the profit for dumping metal?

LinbloomRJ... We sub out all of our railings for steps. I have never attempted welding.

Porter05... I have attempted snow removal. My insurance would sky rocket with the addendum. NJ commercial auto insurance is out of control. We just had our first snowfall of over 2 inches this winter.
YOU HAVE TO BE SMART ABOUT DUMPING I SORT EVERYTHING .

WHEN I DO A COMPLETE JOB LIKE HOUSE CLEAN-OUTS I LOAD ALL THE METALS ON A TRAILER THE I TAKE ALL DEBRIS AND LOAD THE TRUCK CD IS $100 A TON HERE HOUSEHOLD IS $90 SO YOU WILL HAVE TO ESTIMATE FOR THE DUMPING FEES, FUEL, LABOR PER MAN HOUR.

LAST JOB I DID WAS A 4 BEDROOM CAPE COMPLETE CLEANOUT WHERE THERE WAS 40 YEARS OF **** COLLECTED. THE YARD HAS NOT BEEN MAINTAINED IN YEARS SO THEY HAD ME REMOVE ALL LEAVES AND RUBBISH, TRIM HEDGES, EDGE WALKS AND BEDS, CUT AND TRIM LAWN POWERWASH HOUSE. FOR THAT I CHARGED $4500

THEN THEY ASKED ME IF I KNEW ANY GOOD HOUSE PAINTERS SO I SAID ME.

THEY BOUGHT ALL THE SUPPLIES I DID THE LABOR $1500

TOTAL JOB $6000 5 DAYS LABOR 3 GUYS
Old 02-25-2007, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARICEK LANDSCAPING View Post
i used do haul junk for customers on occassion, its nice to fit it in on rainy days. i was charging $85/load + dump fees with an ez dump in the back of a truck if items were in a pile and ready, if i have to haul things out an attic/garage the price goes up. i got lots of goodies to sell too.
also, why at the dump, i picked up junk old chainsaws and stick them on ebay, people pay like $50 for an old craftsman saw that proply only cost $99 10 years ago and then pay shipping on top of it
WHAT IS YOUR TIME AND LABOR WORTH. I KNOW MINE IS WORTH A HELL OF ALOT MORE THAN YOU ARE CHARGING I WILL NOT GET OUT OF BED FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN $500 PER DAY AFTER EXPENSES
Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

ok enough with the caps! lol!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn guy1350 View Post
ok enough with the caps! lol!
SORRY bad habit
Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

ha! yeh, im just messin round
Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ebay lots of that stuff you get from people houses if its any good even if it dont sell you can relist it for free.

and i know its kinda sick but if your a trash guy you can find pretty cool stuff that people throw away you wouldnt beleave how much stuff this guy found over the years of picking up trash. i asked him if he had any broken game systems that he found and he had like 20-30 broken ps2s xboxs i told him i would give him $50 for all them and hes like sure. and i put it on ebay you would not beleave what people pay for thoes i sold one broken xbox on ebay and made 56.39 plus i charged more for shipping.

1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4 (ex plow truck needs tranny work)

1998 dodge ram 2500 ext cab needs all new lines (soon to be the new plow truck)

curtis plow 7 1/2ft 4 years old

1995 7ft X 16ft trailer

woods diesel zero turn 5ft mowing deck (60 inch) 6-7 years old

and a whole lot more ill up date later
Old 02-26-2007, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgoldcleanups View Post
...I WILL NOT GET OUT OF BED FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN $500 PER DAY AFTER EXPENSES
You must be well rested.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
You must be well rested.
why do you say that?? winter is my busy season. i average a minimum of $1000 after expenses per job 2-3 jobs a week
Old 02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmudder77 View Post
ebay lots of that stuff you get from people houses if its any good even if it dont sell you can relist it for free.

and i know its kinda sick but if your a trash guy you can find pretty cool stuff that people throw away you wouldnt beleave how much stuff this guy found over the years of picking up trash. i asked him if he had any broken game systems that he found and he had like 20-30 broken ps2s xboxs i told him i would give him $50 for all them and hes like sure. and i put it on ebay you would not beleave what people pay for thoes i sold one broken xbox on ebay and made 56.39 plus i charged more for shipping.
im not greedy. most jobs that i do where the stuff is reuseable. i donate it to non-profit charities in new york which saves me money on dumping fees