Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2000, 03:16 PM
manr

I have a walker 16hp 42" deck Is there a way that you could convert the bagging deck to a mulching one
Old 03-13-2000, 02:49 AM
bhtatum

I believe they make an attachment that mounts to the back of the GHS. Personly I found that just raising the back works in larger areas.
Old 03-14-2000, 10:58 AM
manr

I do open my back door on the larger areas but the small residential don't like the clippings on there shrubs & mulched areas<p>Have any of you Walker owners ever blocked off the shoot going up to the blower??<br>If so what were your results?<p>Thanks<br>
Old 03-14-2000, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I have a small leaf cleanup, I sometimes hit a pile of leaves fast, which will most times plug the chute.(DON'T PLUG THE BLOWER, JUST THE CHUTE.) Then I go over the leaves a couple of times to mulch. Works real good. I use old blades as the dirt from the leaves is pretty rough on them. <p>If it is a big job I change deck pans from bagging to mulch deck. Takes less than 5 min. Again, I use old blades. <p>I have not had good results plugging chute for regular grass mulching. GHS blades are not made for mulching and do not do a good job. Leaves clumps of grass in yard. I use my mulching decks 90% of the time during mowing season anyway so there is know need to mulch grass any other way.<p>Jim
Old 03-14-2000, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys, I have a walker with blower too and I'm not sure I like the idea of plugging the blower or tube with grass. It only takes a couple of seconds to take the belt off the blower pulley and then there shouldn't be any problems with heat or belt burning. <br> I also have the deflectors shields for the back of the bin to rear discharge, they work not too bad. Keeps most of the grass off the shrubs.
Old 03-14-2000, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cantoo, My suggestion was not to plug the blower, just the chute. You have to keep the blower fan clear, or you will cause damage to the belt or blower. I only use this method for very small leaf mulching jobs when I am too lazy to change deck pans. I have never had a problem with any overheating or broken belts. In fact Walker makes a plug to plug the blower housing when you use a mulch deck. I use these all the time while mulching leaves. Keeps debris from filling box an prematurally wearing blower housing from the dirt. A lot easier than removing belt.<p>I personally find that the blower belt is the hardest belt for me to change.My machine does not have much clearance between the starter an pully to get belt through without some force. And My big hands have a hard time getting belt over idler pulley. Just not enough room to work comfortable for me. Besides in 3.5 yrs I have only had one blower belt break. I normally change all belts once a year. But glad you mentioned that, will have to check if dealer put engine in proper place when they replaced it.<p>I also have the deflector, and it does spread the clippings more even than just leaving the hopper open. Breaks up the clumps of grass on the way out.<p><br>Jim
Old 03-14-2000, 11:57 PM
manr

Hey everybody thanks for the info<p>The blower belt! H**L<p>I couldn't get mine off!#*!**#<p>I have a 98 GHS 16hp v-twin very little if any clearance. I had the belt replaced when they pulled the engine a 980 hrs. to replace the timing belt. you would't believe the wear on the gears that run off of the timing belt. Thankfully the engine was still under warranty.
Old 03-15-2000, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The clearance is tight on my mower too but I carry a 12&quot; screwdriver to scrape grass off the deck and it works good to push the belt on. I've seen the plug for the chute and I think it would work good for mulching if needed.