Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2001, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro 325D

Had one of my guys running the flail today cutting right-of-ways. He calls me on the cell and says the mower is losing power and shutting off every so often. Checks common stuff like air filter etc...all seem fine. Calls me back in a few minutes and says he has noticed that when the machine loses power or shuts off the fuel gauge indicates 1/4 tank of fuel or less. When the power comes back up the gauge is back up to reading full where it should be. Anyone have any ideas about this? I am very unfamiliar with diesel engines. First trouble this machine has given us. BTW it has around 600 hrs. on it and routine maintenance provided on schedule.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Come on guys...no one out there know any thing about marble-grinders? Someone take a guess. This thing is driving me crazy! Shop has had it 3 times and has not found the problem. Thing is it runs great at the dealer.
Old 07-14-2001, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like an electrical problem. If the fuel gauge is showing less fuel when this problem occurs you either have a short in the wiring, bad ground, or a lose ground somewhere.
Diesel engine:
The electric fuel pump is probably losing power when this occurs, which then requires the injector pump to suck fuel. This pump is not design to do this and therefore causes a drop in engine power.
Also there is a small fuel filter in the bottom of the electric fuel pumps, most people don't know this. I would also check that filter, not that will fix your problem but they tend to plug up with debris from the tank. There is a nut attached to the bottom of the fuel pump that you turn just a little way to get loose, it is a cam style lock not threads.
If the filter is plugged, it could cause the pump to overheat and temporialy short out until it cools down.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info sd. I will give those a try.