Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Buisness courses

I keep reading people telling other people to take business courses so i was woundering which ones do you guys think i should take to help me run the business.Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Member

here you go all from the comfort of your own home. Also if you have a community college close by I would look into a small business management class. Hopes this help. Peace out

http://www.bizmove.com/
https://www.score.org/
http://www.myownbusiness.org/course_sba.html
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=97726,00.html
Old 02-19-2007, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was in business for eight years before I went back to college so I already new alot. The nice thing about it is I now have a degree in marketing, network admin, business mgmt everything I need to run a business mine or someone elses. If you can find some courses on business managment at a local college in your area take them you will be glad you did.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a degree in Business Management, and I found the class that has helped me the most so far in preparing and managing my business was an entrepreneur class I took while in college. Really the only difference I saw between my business management and entrepreneur classes were the entrepreneur classes were geared towards people wanting to start and successfully run their own company. A class like this can oftentimes help you see the bigger picture for your business, help you map out your path, and hook you up with some insight and connections you might not have previously considered. I enjoyed the class because although it did not go in depth about accounting, advertising, marketing, etc, it hit on all aspects of business from start to finish, gave resources, and let me explore how I wanted to shape my business.

Something else to consider...Check out your local Jr Chamber of Commerce...You can do a lot of networking and also discuss all aspects of running a business with people from all different ventures...Some people are more than happy to share to their knowledge, and good or bad, at least you can consider it and make informed choices.
One of the best sources I've had for learning what and what not to do in business has been working in the corporate world for the past 3 years....Gives you a lot of insight on how NOT to be a moron and manage your company wisely!

Sinclair Lawn Care
Old 02-28-2007, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I am still in school now and some big classes that could help you run a successful business are Organizational behavior, Marketing, and a Finance class. These help give you many aspects from a business standpoint.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you absolutely have to, I would strongly recommend NOT taking "intro to business". I'm taking it now and it's totally geared toward big business and zero focus on trade type business informantion like LCO, General Contracting,Painting, etc
Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

this can be a big problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoscape01 View Post
Unless you absolutely have to, I would strongly recommend NOT taking "intro to business". I'm taking it now and it's totally geared toward big business and zero focus on trade type business informantion like LCO, General Contracting,Painting, etc
see if you can obtain a syllabus from the course before registering......this can give you the information on what the course covers, and if its right for you....
6 full time
Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did that before taking "intro to business" and there were plenty of entrepreneurial topics included in the syllabus but the class so far has not lived up to the syllabus. It doesn't help that my professor, though he is a really nice guy, isn't that good of a teacher. Also, every school is different so I would just determine which classes you think might be interesting and informative and then find someone who has taken those classes, get their feedback and then determine which ones will help you and who the best professors are. On a sidenote, I use ratemyproffessor.com and it's usually really accurate
Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

dont take an intro to business class take something that deals directly with facts and ideas rather than the big corporate picture.