Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

renewing drive belts

ive got 2 belt drive mowers that kinda need new double-v belts but at
$30ish a pop they dont need to be replaced that bad if you know what i mean, so ive don some searching and read that soaking them in bleach, baby oil or glycerine can restore there rubberyness and help them grip like new so has anybody done this before or have any other suggestions it would be great

also i thought of buying 2 standerd v belts for each side which would be considerably cheap at about $6 a peice but i would need 8 instead of 4 know what i mean just thinking out load
Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

wow, just wow....
Old 02-21-2007, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can not advise you try any of those miracle cures, wishful thinking might do more harm than good in this case.

Best I can tell you is order a new belt (the expensive kind) and keep it with you for now.
Then, keep the new belt someplace where you will have it when the old one breaks (like in the truckbox).

As for replacing, run it until it breaks, you might be surprised you might can go a long ways still on the old one.

Seriously, that's what I do.

Last time my main blade belt was going, I paid the $50 or whatever and put the new one in the truck box when I got it.
I then kept running with the old belt, and it didn't give out until over a year later.
Now you can't assume you will have as much luck, saying it may not last a whole year, but even if you only get another week or a month out of it, that's time added to the lifespan of the new one.

Last edited by topsites; 02-21-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

first of all i thought i made it clear im talking about the drive belts that drive the wheels not blades because i just replaced a blade belt yesterday, i know i sound like a cheap a$$ which i am but i dont plan on keeping these belt drive machines for more than a year and dont want to sink any more money into them but if youve ever used a belt drive machine with worn belts you know they slip on hills and sometimes become hard to get to track straight because one side slips more than the other and i dont really see how trying it could do more harm than good because if it makes it worse ill just replace them but if it does fix the problem i just saved half a days work know what i mean
Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you go to a auto parts store and buy a can of "belt dressing" ?

It's designed to make belts tacky to reduce slipping, Keep it handy and when they go slipping spray a little on.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my mower has a lifetime warranty on the drive belt, so i have the three belts that i need always stored in the trailer tool box. when/if the drive belt breaks, i replace it with the one i have on hand, bring the broken one back to my dealer and they give me a new one, free of charge. as soon as i see any fraying of any if the belts, they are gonna get changed, it's worth it to me not to have any downtime durring peak mowing hours.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 02-21-2007, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

i accually tryed the belt dressing last year and it seemed to work for a few days but wore off pretty quickly i really need to just replace my 48" with a hydro hopefully somtime this year if i stumble apone a good deal but untill then im going to try soaking a pair in bleach off my 36 and see if it helps if not no big deal

the lifetime warrenty on belts would be pretty sweet kinda like brake pads im on my second set of free ones from the zone and for 15 set of pads you cant beat it
Old 02-22-2007, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're looking for a miracle cure, try some toothpaste. I've heard that the micro grit in it can get rid of the glazing on rubber belts and make them grip better. I've never tried this, so I can't say for sure.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,belts r cheap compared to worn out pulleys .A worn out belt or a beltvery close to being u/s will slip on pulleys causing wear in the groove . Then to your amazement the new belt once fitted does not perform properly and/ or has a short life span. Every body has there own ideas on maintenance .Try belt grip out of a spray can ,if not replace it .

tomo
Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can tell you this much - soaking in bleach will ruin the belt. Bleach will eat throught the threads and rubber and compromise the whole belt.