Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2007, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Please be honest

I am new in the lawn care industry. I am planning on starting this season with 2 Toro non-commercial mowers, and everything else such as trimmers and blowers are commercial. My question is do you think I can make them last this season by alternating them so I don't burn them up using them 5 - 6 times a day. Also what do you guys think of this flyer.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lawns by Steve.doc (700.0 KB, 342 views)
Old 02-21-2007, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

flyer is ok, it doesnt grab my attention though... if i saw that somewhere IMO it would be easily overlooked. but i like the designs in the background, and the lawns by steve. and the mowers arent really made for 5-6 times a day, your going to be putting a lot of wear and tear on them, so maintenance will have to be kept up.and even then they might or might not last. IMO if you had the extra money i would go out and get a used w/b. but first make sure this is what you want to do, and you can handle it. theres a lot of other expenses you have to think about too, Insurance, truck, gas, repairs, taxes. Id say try and make a business plan, and set out a budget for yourself. just make sure you know what your getting into. Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

actually the more i look at your flyer the more i kinda like it. where do you live that lawns need to be cut 3 times a week??? and whats a "standard lot"? IMO your phone # needs to be bigger. it just kind of blends in with everything else.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lawns by Steve flyer.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lawns%20by%20Steve[1].doc (703.5 KB, 148 views)
Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All I can say is that you can try. If the mowers make it one season ... they do .. . but if they don't, then don't be to surprised. They are just not built to be used that much.

As for the flyer ..... it does kind of stick you as being clean, neat and organized. I too don't know why someone would need their lawn mowed three times a week. I've mowed mine personally twice a week during the rapid growing season to maintain that fresh-cut look ... but I don't thing ever three times.

One other thing, like mentioned above ... what is a standard lawn? I would assume that for $25. it must be a really small, postage stamp lawn ... or prices in your area are lower then in many areas. We very rarely see prices drop below $30. - $35. for very small lots in my area. Of my accounts, $35. is the minimum.

And no matter what others say on here ... trust me ... you will not be the first (or last) to start a company with small, residential mowers. You'll just need to plan on upgrading as soon as you possibly can. And if you are doing almost all small lawns, get you a nice 36" WB ... it'll save you valuable time.

Good Luck ...

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I started with an almost brand new residential mower, I cut 15 lawns per week, thats 3 per day, and it Almost made it an entire season. The engine lasted, but the rest of the mower, for lack of better term "shook apart". Pieces always breaking, pulleys going out, ect. I had way to much downtime, especially for only cutting 15 lawns.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Toro commercial 21" Hi Vac /Trim Mower and a homeowner Personal Pace GTS 21".We bought the homeowner model at a moving sale for $80. It was basically new and retailed for about $287. Eventually,it will not hold up, so try to get these used "but new" from moving sales if you can. At any rate,our home owner model is still running and we used it all summer about 10 to 15 times a week on yards that averaged about 700 to 800 sq.feet ( front & back). We keep the oil and filter changed regularly. It works well for sucking up leaves also. However,it did not hold up as well as the commercial as far as appearances .The throttle cable clips broke, the bagger frame and handles wiggles a little,etc... but with a little tie wrap here and duck tape there.... it is still mowing. I would not use it for too long without getting another type of mower but it will do until then.I think a lot of the wear and tear came more from transporting and set-up than actual mowing time.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

If you can afford it, it would be wise to make one investment now rather than having to buy a commercial mower after these to residential models break apart. Get a commercial mower now.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are we talking about riding mowers or push mowers here? If your talking about buying two push mowers, they will hold up longer than lawn tractors. I used a residential push mower for a while when I was in high school years ago, and it actually held up fairly well over two seasons, I was cutting about 10 lawns a week in high school. It won't be much to look at, as was said in the previous post, but the engine should be ok. If you talking push, just buy one.

If you buy two, aren't you getting close to the cost of a commercial push mower?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Toro homeowner mowers you have should last an entire season if you rotate them on a daily schedule and maintain them on a regular basis. I would upgrade to commercial as soon as finances allow.