Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2007, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A belt drive with run 50 less than a direct drive,as for water flow at least 7 gallon a minute out of a spicket.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE View Post
The northern machine is over priced,you can buy a 13 horse,belt driven,general pump a top pump by the way for the same price and a aluminum frame.
From where? I don't want to spend $3K right now. I just got a new used 2005 Lazer Z and with not much snow this year I don't want to go much over 1K. I'm looking for a good starter PW as most of us did with our mowers. Later if things go good I may just jump on the hot water PW.

Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person...

203-856-5602
Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 3 k was a small hot water machine,look up water cannon on the web.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try this # 1-888-254-0034 ask for ford.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vern View Post
2 questions:
1. What is the advantage of belt drive over direct coupling? Does it have to do with the drive ratios?
2. Have you ever put a flow guage on the houses in your area? I have never seen a house with that low of a flow.
The belt driven have less vibration, heat that can/will reduce the lifespan of a pump.

I should have been a little more careful with the wording....however, I have never seen a pressure washer directly mounted to a spicket. I have always had to use 50 to 200 ft of water hose. That being said, the type of pipes in a home will affect water flow. PVC that is in a lot of homes has little to no reduction. Older homes that have galvanized pipes do have flow reduction. Water hose also will reduce the flow. It never fails that water leaks at the hose connection at the spicket and at the second hose if needed and where the hose connect onto the pressure washer.

Unless you have a way to measure flow inside the pressure washer I guess we'll never know.

The point is that you can pay alot for a bigger pump that could wear out faster than a somewhat lesser size pump if you don't maintain the water flow.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&K View Post
The belt driven have less vibration, heat that can/will reduce the lifespan of a pump.
Not to be difficult, but why does the belt drive have less vibration? It would seem to me that with additional moving parts it would have a tendency toward more vibration not less. What am I missing? I could see there being less vibration actually transmitted to the pump - if that's what you are referring to, but I fail to see the difference other than that. I know that they are generally considered to be higher end, but I really have yet to grasp what it is that makes the difference.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I often wonder why I see leaks when people use power washers. Is it due to cheap O rings on the hose?

203-856-5602
Old 02-27-2007, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OH LEAKS,it happens on fittings all the time its part of it,look at it like this way if your pump is on the shaft direct drive every time you pull the trigger it shakes and moves,now a belt driven is mounted away from the heat and vibration it's simple it will out last you i know the mistakes i made so good advice,i started with a small belt driven cold water,then i went with a bigger cold water,i would buy a hot water first.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is the link from the phone # you provided.
http://www.pressurewashersusa.com/
I was talking with Ford and he seems to be a nice person to deal with. The site is under construction but I might be getting the unit on the main page. They want just over 1K for it but I will have them put a 100ft hose reel onto the handle bar with a 100 foot hose for $189.00 Frieght is estimated at about $75. When all is said and done i'll be looking at about $1400. They do have a belt drive unit for $1500 but I won't be using it every day and they way I see it, if I get busy with a lot of work I may just go get a hot water unit for $3K

How hot does the water get? Is there a separate engine to heat up the water? How do they work? I guess I should of asked Ford these questions but if I ask here at least others can learn from them as well...

203-856-5602
Old 02-27-2007, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man he is a good guy,i have dealt with all of them,also he is negotiable money orders help,ford is the best for trouble shooting and building any thing like now i am geting another stainless steel machine built.