Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-25-2007, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Can anyone please let me know what the going rate for landscapers in the NH area are? laborers, installers, foreman, etc? and are you paying them as subs or employees? What have you found to be the easiest as a business owner? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most places hire landscapers for as little as $8 an hour to $12 an hour starting depending on expierience, and that covers laborers, crew leaders, and installers within that range. Alot of companys also have a salary cap on laborers of $15 an hour.
I have someone who works for me now, he is treated as a "sub". FOr this reason i don't have to carry workers compensation on him, his taxes are taken care of by him, etc. It works out pretty good for me this way. As I expand in the next few years and I hire 2-3 people I will then turn them into employees. The cost on workers comp for 1 person is crazy and the more people you have the easier it is to justify the cost.
Certified ICPI installer
Member NHLA & IAHP

Kingsbury Landscape & Design LLC-owner
Deep Roots Hydroseeding LLC-Partner

http://kingsburylandscapedesign.com
http://deeprootsllc.com/
603-393-7568
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jason
Keep in mind that in the eyes of the IRS,,,he is not a sub if
he uses your equipment
Works buy your schedule
and doesn't have the ability to come and go.
He can collect unemployment if he so desires and you will be responsible for
the appropriate withholdings.
Been there, done that
Alan
04 FLTRI
16' Trailer
52" Xmark ZTR
48" Hustler TrimStar WB
36" Bob Cat Belt drive
21" Honda
21" Craftsman
8HP Leaf Blower
Redmax 8000 Backpack Blower
Echo Combo Trimmers
Echo Blower
Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I start most of my guys at $10 and up depending on experience. Some other laborers less than $10. weeding and stuff like that. I put my fulltime employees on the books and pay taxes on them and carry all nessasary insurance. I think its better that way just incase an employee does something stupid (car accident, hits a house with a mower) or something like that. It is covered. They also get a W-2 at the end of the yr. And the payroll company takes care of paying all taxes to state and goverment as fas as the workers are concerned. the cost for the payroll company is small compared to the hassle it saves me. They call me and I just need to give them each employees hours and a check gets sent to me in the mail for each one. I just sign it and pass it on to them on payday. No worries...
2000 Ford F-550
97 GMC 3500 Rack/dump w/9 Diamond plow
Snoex 8000 sander (Sold)
And a bunch of other junk.
Dog, Wife, Kid
Old 03-25-2007, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC View Post
Most places hire landscapers for as little as $8 an hour to $12 an hour starting depending on experience, and that covers laborers, crew leaders, and installers within that range. Allot of company's also have a salary cap on laborers of $15 an hour.
I have someone who works for me now, he is treated as a "sub". For this reason i don't have to carry workers compensation on him, his taxes are taken care of by him, etc. It works out pretty good for me this way. As I expand in the next few years and I hire 2-3 people I will then turn them into employees. The cost on workers comp for 1 person is crazy and the more people you have the easier it is to justify the cost.
Thanks for the input! I think I am going to check into ADP, and Paychecks, tomorrow, maybe they can give me the breakdown per dollar of what an employee will cost. My insurance company is great and is looking into increased liability and Workman's comp.

I have always worked alone efficiently. I think that hiring someone will allow me to take on more lawns, and focus more on the business end year round.

Any more input is great. Hiring someone is something that I have been thinking about long and hard.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use paychex. havent had any problems in 2 yrs with them. they also will quote you insurance. comp and liability. if you want i can give you my contacts info....
2000 Ford F-550
Snoex 8000 sander (Sold)
Dog, Wife, Kid
Old 03-25-2007, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Cut-ABOVE View Post
I use paychex. havent had any problems in 2 yrs with them. they also will quote you insurance. comp and liability. if you want i can give you my contacts info....
That would be great if you would PM that to me, I had been referred to them by my insurance agent as well. Do you mind if I ask what a $10 an hour emplyee costs you per hour after taxes? and then with comp? Thanks!

Also. Taylor rental is selling a walk behind de-thatcher for $800 I bet that I could get him down to atleast 6 if anyone is interested? let me know, and I will stop by there in the morning. (It's a blue bird)
Old 03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSG View Post
Jason
Keep in mind that in the eyes of the IRS,,,he is not a sub if
he uses your equipment
Works buy your schedule
and doesn't have the ability to come and go.
He can collect unemployment if he so desires and you will be responsible for
the appropriate withholdings.
Been there, done that
Alan
Alan
Actually I sub him off another company. Kinda complicated to explain. I have a contract with them for him. They pay his hourly wage for the hours i mail them. He is technically an employee through them. Any unemployment is paid for by them as well as any workers comp. They then bill me $2 more per hour to cover payroll costs, workers comp, etc. Then at the end of the month they bill me for his payroll.
Certified ICPI installer
Member NHLA & IAHP

Kingsbury Landscape & Design LLC-owner
Deep Roots Hydroseeding LLC-Partner

http://kingsburylandscapedesign.com
http://deeprootsllc.com/
603-393-7568
Old 03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looking at one of my guys from last yr..on 39 hrs @ 10.00 = $390.00 he brought home after taxes was $355.58. on the paper work they lump all the employer taxes together. but i would say it would be less than $50.per pay period for that one employee for your company to pay taxes on him.
With the comp .im really not sure right now. I would have to do some digging from last yr, and figure that out.
The # for them is 603-471-2590. And just talk to the operator and they should be able to help you.
Have you tried Craigslist for a dump truck? there are a few on there. search the different states around here.
2000 Ford F-550
Snoex 8000 sander (Sold)
Dog, Wife, Kid
Old 03-25-2007, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I appreciate that more than you know. I am just trying to figure my costs before promising a rewarding part time job to someone. I was figuring on a 16hrs + a week position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Cut-ABOVE View Post
looking at one of my guys from last yr..on 39 hrs @ 10.00 = $390.00 he brought home after taxes was $355.58. on the paper work they lump all the employer taxes together. but i would say it would be less than $50.per pay period for that one employee for your company to pay taxes on him.
With the comp .im really not sure right now. I would have to do some digging from last yr, and figure that out.
The # for them is 603-471-2590. And just talk to the operator and they should be able to help you.
Have you tried Craigslist for a dump truck? there are a few on there. search the different states around here.