Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-13-2000, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I used a friends Honda trimmer and really enjoyed using it. It is extremely quiet and powerful, though somewhat heavy in comparison to Echo trimmers that I have used. The biggest plus is its single cylinder all gasoline engine, you don't have to mess with mixing fuel with oil anymore. Do any of you own one or know of anyone who has had a good past with Honda Trimmers?
Old 03-14-2000, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I haven't ever actually used one, but I heard that the Honda 4 cycle trimmer isn't any more powerful than a regualar old 2 cycle.
Old 03-14-2000, 08:33 AM

Hello:<p>Everything TurfMaster said is true about the Honda trimmer. Yes, it is a pound or so heavier if you compare cc's to cc's.<p>But comparing it this way I think it's a more powerful unit. Less vibration is a real plus, because if you run another trimmer enough it could cause problems with your shoulders rotary cuff, it happened to me. <p>I had to go to the doctor & I found out that taking asprin helped. Also wearing a strap will save you a lot of pain over a period of time.<p>I don't think I even need to mention less noise, we are now subjected to too much noise now. Anything to reduce the noise level is a plus in this business.<p>Most of all is the fuel savings, less trips to the gas can & in these days we are facing now & in the future, gas savings is something we all should consider.<p>For more info on fuel savings do to this URL: www.turfquip.com/hon_fuel.jpg<p>I think in time to come all trimmers will be 4 cycle with overhead valves.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 03-15-2000, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I had put of my purchase of a new trimmer for as long as I could. (1 1/2yr.) I have used a robin (same unit) since 1987. And still going strong I might add! Anyway seen the hondas when they first came out, but an honest dealer (imagine that!) knowing he could possibly lose a sale advise me to wait awhile until honda got some carburator problems worked out. So, I did. I purchased the 431LTA 2 weeks ago. yes it's alittle on the heavy side. (quite whinning you are a man aren't you?) But what a powerhouse! Lots of torque and QUIET! So far I love it. I need a stick edger in the worst kind of way and have been holding out because the dealer says honda is working on more 4-stroke equip.. I'd really like to have it all 4-stroke. So, in the mean time, I'm going to buy the cheapest edger I can find and hope it lasts until these new products are put to market.
Old 03-15-2000, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input everybody. I welcome more of it since buying one of these trimmers a week ago. Using one last year really sold me on them I bought the same trimmer as CLM1, the 431LTA. Haven't got a chance to use it since mowing season in Indiana is still about 2-3 weeks away or so. I think I can handle the extra pound!(just kidding). I guess I was wanting to be reassured that I chose the correct trimmer for the long hall. By the way, how much did you pay for yours? I got mine for $267. They said they list for $450, whether that's true or not I don't know. The dealer that I bought it from had a couple more and really doesn't push them because he doesn't like them.....go figure. Please keep the comments coming.
Old 03-15-2000, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Turfmstr, You paid WHAT! Send me your dealers name and address, I want another, plus more equip.! What lines does he carry? My local dealer list was $379.00, I paid $329.00. OHHHH, I don't feel so good. I think I'll just lay down here a minute. (LOL)
Old 03-15-2000, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Well CLM1, I'm feeling pretty good about now! Anyway, part of my bargain was that I bought a Scag Turf Tiger along with it, which I got the price knocked down on comfortably. He gave me the Honda trimmer at cost because of the Turf Tiger. Now he would probably give a better deal than the person that you bought yours from because he doesn't push them as much, but I doubt if he get's down to the $267. In all actuality, your price is not too bad considering if that is all you bought at the time of purchase. My dealer sells primarily SCAG equipment; Shindaiwa,Honda,and Echo trimmers and accessory machinery (blowers etc.). He's in Muncie, IN and its called SupeRent (don't know address). It's mostly a rental business on top of the new mowing machinery that he sells. Don't buy them all, I may want another!