Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
radracer radracer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Zephyrhills, Fl.
Posts: 53
Sub Division Pricing Question

Thanks for reading. I have been doing lawn service and landscaping part time for a year and a half but I am going to go full time this spring as it is very hard to mow, work a second job go to school and raise a family at the same time. That being said I have a few good accounts that are profitable but I need to add about 40 more to leave my job. I would like to get into the subdivisions because the neighborhoods around here are sparse and spread apart and the subdivisions are plentiful with thousands of homes and are very close together. The problem is the prices in these subdivisions are very low $15.00 per cut and most of the lawn services are servicing for these prices. I have 2 accounts that I do full service for, in one of the biggest ones and they are profitable. But most of the residents don't want full service they just want what they are getting mediocre service at a low price. The yards are very small and most can be mowed, edged, trimmed & blowed in 15 minutes or less including loading / unloading of equipment. I was thinking about doing them for 17.50 per service with a contract. Before someone jumps my case for considering to work that cheap, just remember I am in central Florida where all the companies have 10 Mexicans jumping out of the truck working for next to nothing doing the work while the owner / manager sits behind the wheel smoking a cigarette drinking a glass of tea and watches the money come in. I am just trying to get a piece of the pie for my family while I earn my degree. I would still keep my minimum price for the regular neighborhoods as I am not willing to cut my fellow LSO's throats in these areas. Please let me know what you would do and how much do you charge for subdivisions with small yards. Thanks in advance for all input.

Thanks
Rad
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 AM
echeandia's Avatar
echeandia echeandia is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,131
There have been many posts that talk about making $1 a minute. If what you say about the time for unloading, doing the job, and reloading is correct then the price you have is right. Only you know if you can make money going after these lots though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Young Lawn Boy's Avatar
Young Lawn Boy Young Lawn Boy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: lee's summit, MO
Posts: 53
i see where you are coming from...everybody and there mom owns a mower and willing to do work cheap. If you can charge those prices and still run your business effictivley and make enough to pay the bills at home then you will be fine....it all comes down to what your expectations are for yourself...dont pay attention to people who tell you that your lowballin cus its your business not there's
__________________
I'm 17 with about 40 weekly mowing accounts and I also do a lot of landscaping

My Equipment:

2002 Silverado 4x4 ext cab
Big Tex Trailer 5 x 10 (with racks and toolbox)
48" Wright Stander 19 hp
48" Toro Walk Behind Fixed Deck w/ tru trak
Echo trimmer 80
Stihl trimmer fs 80
Stihl Backpack blower 550
Stihl Blower bg 55
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
Stihl chainsaw 210

And lots more random tools and essentials
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Down2EarthLawns's Avatar
Down2EarthLawns Down2EarthLawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 191
Go with your gut instict on this one rad. If you can charge 15-17.50 per cut on these and still make a profit, get-r-done. Business is business, and nobody is thinking of you when they are pricing out their next job. I have the same situation over here in Spring Hill. And I will be setting prices to get more clients and make more $$.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 PM
CkLandscapingOrlando's Avatar
CkLandscapingOrlando CkLandscapingOrlando is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 652
I dont know where you live but I live In Orlando and 25 a cut is cheap.I charge 100 a month for 12 months,30 a cut for weekly,and 35 for bi weekly.
__________________
Chuck
CK Landscaping
Orlando, Florida
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2007, 11:54 PM
daveintoledo's Avatar
daveintoledo daveintoledo is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: northwest ohio
Posts: 2,590
another approach..

maybe you should try and find a entry level job in your field of study from school..... many times you can get credits for this toward your degree
__________________
owner operator of lawn care, landscaping, and snow removal company
completely legal and insured
7 years in business
6 full time
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2007, 11:36 AM
echeandia's Avatar
echeandia echeandia is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by CkLandscapingOrlando View Post
...and 25 a cut is cheap.I charge 100 a month for 12 months...
You actually charge less than $25 per cut. You charge $23.08 to be exact and you are knocking this guy?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2007, 11:36 PM
radracer radracer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Zephyrhills, Fl.
Posts: 53
Thanks to all for your advice.

Rad
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 AM
GroundControlLawnCare GroundControlLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bartow, FL
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by radracer View Post
Thanks for reading. I have been doing lawn service and landscaping part time for a year and a half but I am going to go full time this spring as it is very hard to mow, work a second job go to school and raise a family at the same time. That being said I have a few good accounts that are profitable but I need to add about 40 more to leave my job. I would like to get into the subdivisions because the neighborhoods around here are sparse and spread apart and the subdivisions are plentiful with thousands of homes and are very close together. The problem is the prices in these subdivisions are very low $15.00 per cut and most of the lawn services are servicing for these prices. I have 2 accounts that I do full service for, in one of the biggest ones and they are profitable. But most of the residents don't want full service they just want what they are getting mediocre service at a low price. The yards are very small and most can be mowed, edged, trimmed & blowed in 15 minutes or less including loading / unloading of equipment. I was thinking about doing them for 17.50 per service with a contract. Before someone jumps my case for considering to work that cheap, just remember I am in central Florida where all the companies have 10 Mexicans jumping out of the truck working for next to nothing doing the work while the owner / manager sits behind the wheel smoking a cigarette drinking a glass of tea and watches the money come in. I am just trying to get a piece of the pie for my family while I earn my degree. I would still keep my minimum price for the regular neighborhoods as I am not willing to cut my fellow LSO's throats in these areas. Please let me know what you would do and how much do you charge for subdivisions with small yards. Thanks in advance for all input.

Thanks
Rad
THATS THE PROBLEM HERE,PRICING DEPENDS ON WERE YOU LIVE AND HOW MANY LAWN COMPANY'S AND MEXICANS WITH A CREW OF FOUR THAT WILL CHARGE HALF OF WHAT A SOLO GUY CHARGE'S JUST TO GET THE ACCOUNT.I SEE IT EVERY DAY AROUND HERE. I NO WERE YOUR COMING FROM.PEOPLE DON'T THINK ABOUT THIS BE FOR THE JUMP YOU FOR PRICING . AND YES THERE'S A SUB CLOSE BY ME WITH A CREW OF FOUR THAT DOES 3 1/4 YARDS FOR 20$ A POP.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
CkLandscapingOrlando's Avatar
CkLandscapingOrlando CkLandscapingOrlando is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
You actually charge less than $25 per cut. You charge $23.08 to be exact and you are knocking this guy?
I'm knocking out 4 yards an hour.92.32 an hour is not bad.I did'nt knock any one.In fact how the hell could you even come to that when I'm doing it for the same price that I said was cheap?I can get even more into that hour if their all next to each other,so either your over charging or you need to work on production
__________________
Chuck
CK Landscaping
Orlando, Florida
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Page generated in 0.10190 seconds with 7 queries