Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Sub Division Pricing Question

Thanks for reading. I have been doing lawn service and landscaping part time for a year and a half but I am going to go full time this spring as it is very hard to mow, work a second job go to school and raise a family at the same time. That being said I have a few good accounts that are profitable but I need to add about 40 more to leave my job. I would like to get into the subdivisions because the neighborhoods around here are sparse and spread apart and the subdivisions are plentiful with thousands of homes and are very close together. The problem is the prices in these subdivisions are very low $15.00 per cut and most of the lawn services are servicing for these prices. I have 2 accounts that I do full service for, in one of the biggest ones and they are profitable. But most of the residents don't want full service they just want what they are getting mediocre service at a low price. The yards are very small and most can be mowed, edged, trimmed & blowed in 15 minutes or less including loading / unloading of equipment. I was thinking about doing them for 17.50 per service with a contract. Before someone jumps my case for considering to work that cheap, just remember I am in central Florida where all the companies have 10 Mexicans jumping out of the truck working for next to nothing doing the work while the owner / manager sits behind the wheel smoking a cigarette drinking a glass of tea and watches the money come in. I am just trying to get a piece of the pie for my family while I earn my degree. I would still keep my minimum price for the regular neighborhoods as I am not willing to cut my fellow LSO's throats in these areas. Please let me know what you would do and how much do you charge for subdivisions with small yards. Thanks in advance for all input.

Thanks
Rad
Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There have been many posts that talk about making $1 a minute. If what you say about the time for unloading, doing the job, and reloading is correct then the price you have is right. Only you know if you can make money going after these lots though.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

i see where you are coming from...everybody and there mom owns a mower and willing to do work cheap. If you can charge those prices and still run your business effictivley and make enough to pay the bills at home then you will be fine....it all comes down to what your expectations are for yourself...dont pay attention to people who tell you that your lowballin cus its your business not there's

My Equipment:

2002 Silverado 4x4 ext cab
Big Tex Trailer 5 x 10 (with racks and toolbox)
48" Wright Stander 19 hp
48" Toro Walk Behind Fixed Deck w/ tru trak
Echo trimmer 80
Stihl trimmer fs 80
Stihl Backpack blower 550
Stihl Blower bg 55
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
Stihl chainsaw 210

And lots more random tools and essentials
Old 02-23-2007, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Go with your gut instict on this one rad. If you can charge 15-17.50 per cut on these and still make a profit, get-r-done. Business is business, and nobody is thinking of you when they are pricing out their next job. I have the same situation over here in Spring Hill. And I will be setting prices to get more clients and make more $$.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know where you live but I live In Orlando and 25 a cut is cheap.I charge 100 a month for 12 months,30 a cut for weekly,and 35 for bi weekly.
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 02-24-2007, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

another approach..

maybe you should try and find a entry level job in your field of study from school..... many times you can get credits for this toward your degree
6 full time
Old 02-25-2007, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkLandscapingOrlando View Post
...and 25 a cut is cheap.I charge 100 a month for 12 months...
You actually charge less than $25 per cut. You charge $23.08 to be exact and you are knocking this guy?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for your advice.

Rad
Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radracer View Post
Thanks for reading. I have been doing lawn service and landscaping part time for a year and a half but I am going to go full time this spring as it is very hard to mow, work a second job go to school and raise a family at the same time. That being said I have a few good accounts that are profitable but I need to add about 40 more to leave my job. I would like to get into the subdivisions because the neighborhoods around here are sparse and spread apart and the subdivisions are plentiful with thousands of homes and are very close together. The problem is the prices in these subdivisions are very low $15.00 per cut and most of the lawn services are servicing for these prices. I have 2 accounts that I do full service for, in one of the biggest ones and they are profitable. But most of the residents don't want full service they just want what they are getting mediocre service at a low price. The yards are very small and most can be mowed, edged, trimmed & blowed in 15 minutes or less including loading / unloading of equipment. I was thinking about doing them for 17.50 per service with a contract. Before someone jumps my case for considering to work that cheap, just remember I am in central Florida where all the companies have 10 Mexicans jumping out of the truck working for next to nothing doing the work while the owner / manager sits behind the wheel smoking a cigarette drinking a glass of tea and watches the money come in. I am just trying to get a piece of the pie for my family while I earn my degree. I would still keep my minimum price for the regular neighborhoods as I am not willing to cut my fellow LSO's throats in these areas. Please let me know what you would do and how much do you charge for subdivisions with small yards. Thanks in advance for all input.

Thanks
Rad
THATS THE PROBLEM HERE,PRICING DEPENDS ON WERE YOU LIVE AND HOW MANY LAWN COMPANY'S AND MEXICANS WITH A CREW OF FOUR THAT WILL CHARGE HALF OF WHAT A SOLO GUY CHARGE'S JUST TO GET THE ACCOUNT.I SEE IT EVERY DAY AROUND HERE. I NO WERE YOUR COMING FROM.PEOPLE DON'T THINK ABOUT THIS BE FOR THE JUMP YOU FOR PRICING . AND YES THERE'S A SUB CLOSE BY ME WITH A CREW OF FOUR THAT DOES 3 1/4 YARDS FOR 20$ A POP.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
You actually charge less than $25 per cut. You charge $23.08 to be exact and you are knocking this guy?
I'm knocking out 4 yards an hour.92.32 an hour is not bad.I did'nt knock any one.In fact how the hell could you even come to that when I'm doing it for the same price that I said was cheap?I can get even more into that hour if their all next to each other,so either your over charging or you need to work on production
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com