Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2007, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I dig in the dirt... and this is my story.

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Owen Minnis. I am 20 years old. I have been in the business part time for a couple of years now. Iíve always loved digging in the dirt, ever since I was small I knew I wanted to drive heavy equipment. I was home schooled from seventh grade onward. I started out working for these friends of mine, two brothers who were and still are in the renovation to rent business. They would rent the machine and have it delivered, and I would run it for them. I was 15 then. In the beginning it was mainly small stuff, grading yards and dressing gravel driveways and such. Soon I began doing landscape renovation, patio and small retaining wall construction as well as occasional planting of trees and shrubs. After a year or so I began running mini excavators doing things like waterproofing and drainage installation. I have also done some tree trimming and a couple of small removals. Also, one sod installation of about 1200 sq. ft. So far my only advertising has been word-of-mouth and a business card I designed for myself, which I will post pictures of shortly.
Now my equipment: In October of 2005 at the age of 18, I purchased my first skid steer, a Bobcat 453 F-Series. One of the primary factors for deciding on such a small unit was the fact that I could pull it with the Dodge Dakota that my family already owned. Also I couldnít pass it up because it was less than half of MSRP with less than 700 hours. After renting a trailer for a few jobs, last summer I purchased a small tilt-deck trailer, 5x12 ft deck, absolute POS when I bought it, but HEAVY DUTY! Six inch I-beam and channel frame, 1/4 inch tread plate deck, a brick shithouse. I bought a stick welder and taught myself how to use it. Replaced the hitch, one set of U-bolts, and fabricated the entire electrical system, putting all LED lighting on in the process. I also own a Stihl MS290 chainsaw, BR340 backpack, and KM55 multi-tool, as well as two Jackson dual-wheel wheelbarrows and various shovels, rakes, brooms, etc. So anyway enough about me. I just wanted to say hello.
Also:
Stihl MS290 w/20" bar
Stihl BG72 Blower
Stihl BR340 Backpack
Stihl KM55 Multi-tool
Cub Cadet SC621 self prop. 21"cut w/ casters
Briggs & Stratton 6hp 2300 PSI power washer

Excavation guys never really grow up... They just get a bigger sandbox