Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2007, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take a Look at my Business Plan...

I am looking for some advice on my business plan that I am preparing for this upcoming season (it will be my first full year in business running a solo operation).

First off, I will tell you a little bit of my background.

I have over seven years experience in the lawn care and landscaping industry. I take pride in my work, and love working outside. Even with a passion for the lawn care industry, it is not my overall goal.

I am a Finance major with two minors (Entrpreneurship and Business Law) at Missouri State University. I plan on pursuing an MBA at Missouri State and then going to Law school at the University of Missouri or UMKC to pursue a degree in Entrepreneurial Law. I want to eventually open my own investment firm or something along those lines...

Therefore, I only plan on mowing and doing light landscaping until I am done with my MBA (approximately 3 years away). Then it is off to law school!

So here is my plan:

Equipment:
-Small Utility Truck with a fold down gate to put my equipment in.
-36" or 32" Walk Behind Mower (trying to currently purchase)
-Shindaiwa T231 Trimmer (already have)
-Backpack blower (about to purchase)
-Hand tools and such (already have)

Plan:
-Get 30 valued customers for weekly lawn maintenance and light landscaping.
-Small, residential lawns only
-Advertise through: A-frame sign outside my house, add in the newspaper, flyers, word of mouth, company shirts, and company logo on the truck.
-Service all equipment myself to keep costs low.

I plan on being a solo operation (too many bad experiences with lazy, worhtless employees!!!). I do not want my business to grow past 30 customers because I have to study a lot as well and keep my GPA above a 3.5 for Law school.

I currently own a 60" zero turn ExMark that I am trading for the W/B. I have a Ford Explorer that I am selling and will try to buy a truck for what I get from the Explorer. Meaning, I will have no money of my own invested into the business except for a blower, business liscence, insurance and other miscellaneous purchases. I am thinking this will be no more than $2,000 which I already have.

My goal is to have saved enough money in 3 seasons to pay for my first year of law school and living expenses which will probably be close to $30,000.

PLEASE post any thoughts or ideas on my plan! I apologize for the post being so long!!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you getting an MBA or a J.D.?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

$30K shouldn't be any problem, but you're going to be putting in a lot of hours w/ a 32" mower. I would probably keep the 60" (depending on its current condition) & push for some larger commercial properties. They are generally wide open & you can market yourself while you are working. Other than that, your plan sounds reasonabe.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

echeandia,
Well, I would like to end up with both degrees. Both UMKC and Mizzou have a dual program that only takes an extra year, but here at Missouri State they have an accelerated masters program that takes one year instead of two (you can take courses that credit your undergrad. and graduate degrees). So I would like to stay here as long as possible before leaving... Plus I know some people that work at an investment firm and I might get a job following graduation to show some professional experience on the law school resume.

carcrz,
The neighborhoods that I am talking about are post stamp lawns. I can mow, trim, and blow them in 30 minutes with a push mower right now. You still don't think a 36" would be big enough for that kind of work?

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You sound like your in the right direction and your plan will def work as long as you dedicate yourself. You should make 30k a year as long as your out there working and moving toward your goal
Old 02-24-2007, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys think regarding the 36" WB? Won't that be enough for small residentials?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

yeh that will be enough in my opinion. you may get tired of it eventually but it will be ok, as long as your yards dont get much bigger!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Guy 1350

That is along the lines of what I was thinking... Yeah walking every single yard will get old, but I am ok with that. Exercise never hurt anyone! Thanks for your comments.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When you get tired of walking throw the sulky on and hitch a ride.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 02-24-2007, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, that is something I thought about!

Does anyone have any ideas/comments on the business plan? Anything I can do to improve it, etc...

Thanks