Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One more thing, I bought a piece of property in Franklinton, cut down a ton of trees and dug a pond for my fill dirt. The local feed & seed store told me to plant Bahaia for erosion control, but is that really the type of grass i want growing in my own yard? She said that is what they use on the levees in N.O. but I'm curious if there is another alternative that will grow fast around here. I have centipede in my current yard, but I have no intentions of sodding 5.5 acres of rural property.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulup View Post
Okay sounds good. Now, the poster above you is kind of throwing me off. Do i need to take courses in order to get a license(aside from landscape architect, i know you need a degree) or can i just study for the test and attain my license by passing?
I took two hort. courses at Delgado (Gen. Hort. and Hort. Professionalism) at DCC. I got too busy to continue to attend about 75% of the way through the semester, so did not actually finish either course.

After that, I got the book, read through it once, took and passed the LC and Hort tests.

I'm sure it helped that I had some horticulture experience.

You're helping motivate me; I need to take my irrigation contractor's test (even though about 90% of the guys that do irrigation aren't licensed).
Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulup View Post
One more thing, I bought a piece of property in Franklinton, cut down a ton of trees and dug a pond for my fill dirt. The local feed & seed store told me to plant Bahaia for erosion control, but is that really the type of grass i want growing in my own yard? She said that is what they use on the levees in N.O. but I'm curious if there is another alternative that will grow fast around here. I have centipede in my current yard, but I have no intentions of sodding 5.5 acres of rural property.
I think that the bahia will work fine. From what I understand, seeding centipede is a tedious process.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, i certainly won't be seeding centipede. I already have to bring in a few tons of lime. The property used to be a nursery, but when they listed it for sale they planted it in pines, and it sat like that for about 8 years. The ground is so acidic, weeds aren't even growing in the fresh dirt around the pond. Any recommendations on a good fertilizer that i can buy without a license?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S man View Post
Wow that's a lot! I probably have close to $20,000 invested after I get my new trailer and exmark 46". I'm probably going to get the same model you have. My exmark dealer is Bob's in metarie.
i counted my truck, and my 4wheeler, both get used for company use!!!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALandscapes View Post
I will let you know. Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you; I've been SWAMPED (tis the season).

I'm trying to put together another maintenance rig/crew; when I do, if you still have it, I'd be happy to take it off of your hands).

Also, if anyone is interested in a JOB, I'm looking for a maintenance/install foreman with 2+ years experience, STRONG work ethic, bi-lingual a plus.

Pay will be based on experience with bonus incentives. [Opportunity to make $40k+/year]

If interested, please PM me or call Chase @ (504) 275-6617.

I know a guy named mark provost and he wants me to work with him on landscape jobs he needs the extra help on. Oh also I have a Exmark phazer, toro proline with the 2 cycle and a snapper commercial all for sale. Let me know.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone come across customers looking for someone to spray their gardens or lawns. I have been in business for myself since graduating from LSU in 1990, with a Horticulture degree.
I spray in the New Orleans area, and do work for many landscape companies and grass cutters.
I am an owner/operator, and work by myself.
If you can pass any work my way I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

All I do is spray and fertilize. No planting. No mowing. No clean ups.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my dad graduated with the same degree in 1992 at LSU KACYDS. you might know him. he's a Romaine.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sorry, that doesn't ring a bell.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

KACYDS, I'm interested in possibly referring you to some of our maintenance customers. We've been using a large spraying co., but I'm always interested in helping the smaller guys out.

I see that you don't have PM's yet, if you'd like, you can call me @ (504) 275-6617 and we can talk. Before referring I'd like references, etc.

Thanks.

Chase